Re: [mythsoc] Amy Bloom's Pullman Review

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22, 2000
      You know, I find that reviews that begin by comparing one author with another
      usually aren't very good reviews. Comparing Philip Pullman's writing to J. K.
      Rowling's is akin to comparing C. S. Lewis's to J. R. R. Tolkien's. They cannot
      be compared. Each writer has her own style and voice and tone and, dare I say
      it, message. Tolkien and Lewis do not at all write in the same fashion, and the
      content of their stories is also worlds apart (literally); similarly, Pullman
      and Rowling have very different styles, and they are each telling very different
      tales, both of which, in my opinion, are good stories. Moreover, each author (as
      with Lewis and Tolkien) have differing reasons for writing and differing
      intentions for their works.

      By the way, I have several links to reviews of *The Amber Spyglass* if anyone is
      interested.

      Ted

      Dr. Theodore James Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature