Did =you= find it?

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22, 2000
      Reuters

      LONDON (Oct. 21) - Like most nine-year-olds, Laila Banjar was spellbound by
      the latest Harry Potter tale of magic -- but she could still spot an error
      missed by proof readers, editors and even author J.K. Rowling.

      Banjar was reading ''Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire'' for a second time
      when she came across the glaring mistake -- leading character Crouch, who had
      gone missing on page 485, had made a sudden, and unplanned, reappearance.

      The mistake, widely reported in British newspapers on Saturday, appears in
      the ninth paragraph on page 503 of the 640 page bestseller.

      Another Harry Potter secret is out of the bag. The Mirror reported that
      Rowling had let slip the title of the fifth book -- Harry Potter and the
      Order of the Phoenix -- during an interview on the 'Today' show.

      Banjar's mother, Tracey, sent an e-mail to the publishers Bloomsbury asking
      whether the offending sentence, which reads '''Dumbledore, come!' said Crouch
      angrily.,'' was a printing error.

      ''Yes, you are right about the error, we have forwarded your e-mail on to the
      editorial department,'' Bloomsbury admitted.

      ''We are very upset that this error went unnoticed until after printing.''

      The sentence should have referred to Cornelius Fudge and not Crouch.

      ''I was really surprised when I spotted the mistake and then I jumped for joy
      when I knew I was right,'' Banjar, from Somerset in western England, told the
      Times newspaper.

      Bloomsbury stressed the mistake was not Rowling's.

      ''Joanne is a complete perfectionist with her book and this mistake crept in
      during the typesetting stage,'' publicity director Katie Collins told the
      Mirror.
    • Sophie Masson
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 23, 2000
        You can't hide from a nine year old's eagle eye! But speaking as a writer,
        it is hard for writer editor typesetter etc to see every mistake, esp in a
        big book! I thought there was another mistake, when the murdered people's
        spirits came out from Voldemort's wands in the wrong order--was that a
        mistake?
        Sophie
        Author site:
        http://www.northnet.com.au/~smasson