Nominations...

  • Trish Lewis
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 1998
      I'm only just now reading it, but the book, "Harry Potter...", by J.K.
      Rowling, I think, would be a great nomination for 1999 (next one,
      right?) for children's category...

      Trish Lewis
      trishymouse@...

      >From: Eleanor Farrell <emfarrell@...>
      >
      >The Mythopoeic Society presents four awards each year, for fantasy
      >literature (children's and adult) and scholarship (Inklings and
      general).
      >Anyone in the Society can nominate books and/or serve on the committees
      >that select the winners; check the info on our web site for details:
      >
      > http://www.mythsoc.org/awards.html
      >
      >Now's the time that "us regulars" start snooping around for
      >nomination-worthy books, so I thought this might be a good list topic.
      What
      >did you read this year (published in 1998) that you thought was
      outstanding
      >fantasy?
      >
      >I'll start with Patricia A. McKillip's new book, _Song for the
      Basilisk_,
      >which is one of the best novels I've read recently. If you read and
      like
      >McKillip, this book fits nicely into her usual elegant style and
      succinct
      >story plotting. But although a short book (a compliment!! I mean
      compared
      >with these endless bookend series...), it has the breadth of her
      earlier
      >classics like _The Forgotten Beasts of Eld_ and the Riddle-master
      trilogy,
      >in that the world is a bit wider than the author usually creates and
      the
      >events somewhat broader. I think it's the best book McKillip has
      written in
      >many years.
      >
      >OK, guys, how about you? Plug your favorites!
      >
      >Ellie
      >
      >********************************************************************************
      >*
      > Eleanor M. Farrell
      > P.O. Box 320486
      > San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
      > E-mail: emfarrell@...
      >
      >Editor, Mythprint (Mythopoeic Society newsletter)
      >Mythopoeic Society web site: http://www.mythsoc.org

    • Eleanor Farrell
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 1998
        Trish Lewis commented:

        >I'm only just now reading it, but the book, "Harry Potter...", by J.K.
        >Rowling, I think, would be a great nomination for 1999 (next one,
        >right?) for children's category...
        >
        >Trish Lewis
        >trishymouse@...

        Trish, how about more details? For nomination info, what's the publication
        date (ie, it needs to be 1998) and publisher? And what's the book about?
        (You can wait till you've finished to answer that one.....)

        Thanks!

        Ellie

        *