Re: E-books

  • stephen@stephen.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 19, 2000
      There's no reason nominated E-books couldn't be printed out for those who
      aren't comfortable reading from the screen.

      This whole issue is just about how it's distributed. In the end, it's a book
      like any other.

      - Stephen
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 22, 2000
        From: "Eleanor Farrell" <emfarrell@...>

        > As
        > Awards Administrator, I have been getting quite a few queries recently
        from
        > e-book publishers/authors who want to have their books considered for our
        > awards

        > Right now, however, I'd like to ask people on this list your opinions of
        > e-books, specifically those published directly on CD and/or the web
        without
        > print versions (as opposed to printed books made available for electronic
        > readers). Do you read these? How does the quality compare with printed
        > books? Think they should be considered for general book awards?

        One important thing to consider is that if e-books become eligible, a new
        requirement will have to be established that all committee members have
        computers capable of accessing these. I personally don't think we should do
        that. While most committee members can probably already access them, I
        don't think we should insist that all must be able to. (For those of you
        not familiar with the rules, all committee members must read all the
        finalists and as many nominees as they possibly can.)

        While I can get at them (I think), I don't want to. I don't like to read
        big chunks of text on a computer screen.. I spend all day at microscopes,
        which is hard on my eyes. When I read, I want to flop on the couch and take
        off my glasses. I can't do that at the computer. Some people also get a
        big chunk of their reading done on public transportation.

        As a committee member, I would vote that e-books available only through the
        web or on CD be ineligible until such time that affordable, easy to use and
        read, portable hand-held e-book readers are available and common throughout
        all economic sectors of society.

        (Am I the only one who sees Tolkien spinning in his grave over this?)

        Berni
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 23, 2000
          I am in favor of permitting e-books to be considered eligible for the
          Mythopoeic Awards. A story told in words is a story told in words, and
          the manner of its distribution is incidental. Verifying the date of
          publication is a trivial matter. So is protecting against plagiarism:
          There is no existing book of award quality that someone on the committee
          hasn't already read.

          Certainly an e-book may be distributed in a format that not everyone can
          read, but that is hardly a different problem from a small-press print
          book distributed in a way that not everyone can find a copy. Committee
          members are not required to read all the first-ballot nominees, but must
          just make a good faith effort to find them. If such a book becomes a
          finalist, special arrangements may be made to ensure everyone can read
          it, just as they've been made in the past with small-press books.

          I share some people's dislike of reading fiction, or anything longer than
          an ordinary list post, on line. One may, as has been pointed out, print
          the work out - or just take the difficulty into consideration when
          judging the book, just as one would take a really bad typeface or
          printing job into consideration.

          Of far greater concern to me is potential ballot-stuffing by publishers.
          In my day as administrator, I'd get one or two inquiries a year about how
          to get a given book nominated. My reply was always: send a copy to
          Mythprint for review, and if members see it and read and like the book,
          they might nominate it. Sometimes the publisher would indeed send the
          book. It was invariably awful. This should not be surprising: if it
          weren't that bad, it wouldn't need this kind of publicity-hunting.

          This process at least put a filtering method on the process, putting a
          book reviewer between the promotion and any consideration for the award.
          I believe that distributing - to the committee or this list - a list of
          self-nominated books, even as a purely informational item prior to the
          first ballot, would be foreign to the spirit of the awards.
          Recommendations for the awards in any sense should only come from readers,
          never from publishers or promoters.

          David Bratman