Fwd: LeGuin interview

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2000
      From Book Magazine: http://www.bookmagazine.com/issue12/trailblazer.shtml

      The Master on This Year's Model

      This year's phenomenon of publishing, J.K Rowling's Harry Potter books, both
      pleases and puzzles Ursula Le Guin.

      "I'm glad kids are reading," she says. "But when grownups sit around saying
      that there's never been anything like Harry Potter, well, gee, I had a
      wizard school in 1968 (in A Wizard of Earthsea). These people simply haven't
      been reading this stuff. They've been sneering at fantasy until the huge
      success of a fantasy made them read it.

      "And then they say there's nothing like this, and it breaks my heart. When I
      think of all the great fantasies around. And [J.K.] Rowling has certainly
      read me; it's obvious she's read me."

      To Le Guin, J.R.R. Tolkien, with The Lord of the Rings, remains the model to
      follow. "The top," she says unequivocally. "Anyone who wants to write
      fantasy has to have read him."

      -- Ellen Emry Heltzel
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2000
        Here's an interesting article - I know the author very slightly - by a
        man who recently read The Lord of the Rings for himself for the first
        time, sustained only by memories of hearing the book read aloud as a
        child long ago. He found it disappointing, but I think his comments are
        thoughtful. I wrote a reply, which I'll share later.

        http://www.amelor.com/wm_15.html

        David Bratman