RHYS-DAVIES TALKS 'LORD OF THE RINGS'

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2000
      RHYS-DAVIES TALKS 'LORD OF THE RINGS'

      John Rhys-Davies is talking about the challenges of taking on the role of
      Gimli the dwarf in the Lord of the Rings production.

      In an interview with New Zealand's Southland Press (via the Stuff website),
      the actor spoke of wearing the costume that weighs in excess of 40 kg.
      Rhys-Davies says, "The sheer weight slows you down, it's enormously
      top-heavy."

      The actor also revealed that most of his face is covered by make-up,
      saying,
      "The only bit you see of me is a tiny bit of my lips and my eyes...You have
      to do enormous overacting just to get anything on your face ... it's very
      hard to act in."

      Regarding how the effect of making the large actor actually look
      dwarf-sized, Rhys-Davies is not allowed to say.
      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
      MNSCREENW lists