Re: [mythsoc] Good Day

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 13, 2000
      From: <wyspergrove@...>
      To: <mythsoc@egroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2000 8:07 PM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Good Day

      > Good Day to you all,
      > My name is Kat [but most of my friends call me "pixie"] and I am new
      > this fantastic circle. I have read quite a few of your digests, but this
      is
      > my first response.
      > I am an aspiring poet and playwrite, and I am currently working on an
      > epic poem dealing with the extinction of man and rise of the Fae
      creatures.

      Interesting idea. The term is "playwright," as in *cartwright* = "maker
      of." I'd love to see what this is like. Sounds ecological.

      > Most of all, I am in love with mythopoeic books and art. Because this
      love
      > is a relatively new one, I am not familiar with alot of the books outside
      > Tolkein and C.S. Lewis (does Madeline Le'Engle fall in this category?

      She most definitely does. I love her stuff. We focus on Tolkien, Lewis and
      Charles Williams, but also read others like George MacDonald, G. K.
      Chesterton and other mythopoeic writers.

      or
      > George Lucas' Willow & Shadow Series...?) I would greatly appreciate
      > recommendations.

      Have not read this one.

      > Thank you and God Bless, Kat

      Same to you. ---djb.

      Currently reading *Fox Woman* by Kij Johnson and *In Green's Jungles* by
      Gene Wolfe.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 13, 2000
        Kat,

        I just looked up this Willow and Shadow series that you speak of. I had
        never heard of it before. A quick search found three books, _Shadow Moon_,
        _Shadow Dawn_, and _Shadow Star_, all co-written by George Lucas and Chris
        Claremont.

        It appears that everything supposedly by George Lucas, including things that
        have just his name on the cover, is actually just a story (sometimes a
        screenplay) by Lucas that has been expanded into a novel by a co-writer.
        Chris Claremont seems to make his living doing novelizations.

        Can you tell us about this series? Is it related to the movie _Willow_,
        which Lucas co-wrote but didn't direct? Is it any good?