Re: [mythsoc] Hello

  • Paul F. Labaki
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 10, 2000

      > In a message dated 10/10/2000 10:39:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > WendellWag@... writes:
      >
      > << I admit am powerless to resist buying mythopoeic books . . . >>
      >and Lizzie replied:
      > Ah, ah, but let's skip the Higher Power part before we all get in trouble
      > again.
      >
      > Lizzie

      Don't get gunshy, Lizzie. After all, if we are discussing mythopoeisis,
      there must, by definition, be a "maker."

      Nobody has to accept it, but I can't say that I've ever read a more cogent
      or seemingly probable explanation for it than Tolkien's theory of
      sub-creation. For those who are not familiar with it, I refer you to
      Tolkien's essay "On Fairy Stories."

      Peace,
      Paul
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 11, 2000
        In a message dated 10/10/2000 10:51:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        sheik@... writes:

        << For those who are not familiar with it, I refer you to
        Tolkien's essay "On Fairy Stories." >>

        Ah, yes, I haven't read that for a while. Due for a reread.

        I still haven't read Lewis' Till We Have Faces. Should I make apoint of it
        soon?

        Now reading: The Deed of Paksenarrion (sp?), of which I have heard much good.

        Lizzie
      • Christine Howlett
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 11, 2000
          Til We Have Faces tends to provoke strong reactions. My roommate and I both
          love C.S.L., but she HATED that book and I loved it. I still think it's his
          most powerful, though in a very dark way.

          Christine

          >In a message dated 10/10/2000 10:51:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          >sheik@... writes:
          >
          ><< For those who are not familiar with it, I refer you to
          > Tolkien's essay "On Fairy Stories." >>
          >
          >Ah, yes, I haven't read that for a while. Due for a reread.
          >
          >I still haven't read Lewis' Till We Have Faces. Should I make apoint of it
          >soon?
          >
          >Now reading: The Deed of Paksenarrion (sp?), of which I have heard much
          good.

          >Lizzie

        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 11, 2000
            From: <ERATRIANO@...>
            > I still haven't read Lewis' Till We Have Faces. Should I make apoint of
            it
            > soon?
            >
            > Now reading: The Deed of Paksenarrion (sp?), of which I have heard much
            good.

            > Lizzie

            Having read them both, I'd say read the Lewis and skip the Moon (?). I
            suspect that _The Deed of Paksenarrion_ may not hold up so well now that
            there have been many more plain-folks, un-gorgeous-gals-as-heroines
            adventure fantasies. I enjoyed it when it was new but it's basically brain
            candy. _Till We Have Faces_ is meatier.

            Berni
          • Trudy Shaw
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 12, 2000

              > I still haven't read Lewis' Till We Have Faces. Should I make apoint of
              it
              > soon?
              >
              > Now reading: The Deed of Paksenarrion (sp?), of which I have heard much
              good.

              > Lizzie

              I had to dash off a note on this one, as I think Till We Have Faces is one
              of the best mythopoeic books out there and it's definitely my favorite of
              Lewis' fiction. I think this is partly because it's his final novel, so we
              get the advantage of a lifetime of his thought; it certainly shows evidence
              of the development of his attitude toward women. It could also be partly
              because it's written for adults, so the theology is able to do some
              exploration before coalescing into an ending that sends chills down my
              spine.

              I can see how there would be many people who love Lewis who wouldn't
              necessarily care for this novel. It might be pertinent that I've never
              really taken to the Narnia books (I'm not saying they're not good, just that
              there are a lot of mythopoeic books that I prefer to them). Someone picking
              up Till We Have Faces expecting something similar to Lewis' earlier fiction
              would certainly be disappointed.

              -- Trudy
            • Cathy Akers-Jordan
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 10, 2006
                Hello Everyone,

                I just joined the Mythopoeic Society and this Yahoo group. I know a
                few of you from the Mythcon37Papers group and from working on an essay
                for Tolkien on Film.

                This year was my second Mythcon. I had a wonderful time and enjoyed
                getting to know some of you there. I hope to get to know more of you
                on line.

                Cathy Akers-Jordan
                Lecturer of English
                The University of Michigan-Flint
              • visualweasel
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 10, 2006
                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy Akers-Jordan" <melisande@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hello Everyone,
                  >
                  > I just joined the Mythopoeic Society and this Yahoo group.
                  > I know a few of you from the Mythcon37Papers group and
                  > from working on an essay for Tolkien on Film.
                  >
                  > This year was my second Mythcon. I had a wonderful time
                  > and enjoyed getting to know some of you there. I hope to
                  > get to know more of you on line.

                  Welcome, Cathy! :)

                  Jason
                • John D Rateliff
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 10, 2006
                    Welcome to the list, Cathy.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
                      > Welcome to the list, Cathy.

                      Thank you Jason and John! Is that Jason Fisher?

                      Cathy
                    • Jason Fisher
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
                        > Thank you Jason and John! Is that Jason Fisher?

                        It is. :)
                      • Diane Joy Baker
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 18, 2006
                          I concur. ---djb
                          > On Aug 10, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Cathy Akers-Jordan wrote:
                          > > Hello Everyone,
                          > >
                          > > I just joined the Mythopoeic Society and this Yahoo group. I know a
                          > > few of you from the Mythcon37Papers group and from working on an essay
                          > > for Tolkien on Film.
                          > >
                          > > This year was my second Mythcon. I had a wonderful time and enjoyed
                          > > getting to know some of you there. I hope to get to know more of you
                          > > on line.
                          > >
                          > > Cathy Akers-Jordan
                          > > Lecturer of English
                          > > The University of Michigan-Flint

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          >

                          > --

                        • Cathy Akers-Jordan
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 19, 2006
                            Thanks, Diane!

                            Cathy

                            > > On Aug 10, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Cathy Akers-Jordan wrote:
                            > > > Hello Everyone,
                            > > >
                            > > > I just joined the Mythopoeic Society and this Yahoo group. I know a
                            > > > few of you from the Mythcon37Papers group and from working on an
                            essay
                            > > > for Tolkien on Film.
                            > > >
                            > > > This year was my second Mythcon. I had a wonderful time and enjoyed
                            > > > getting to know some of you there. I hope to get to know more of you
                            > > > on line.
                            > > >
                            > > > Cathy Akers-Jordan
                            > > > Lecturer of English
                            > > > The University of Michigan-Flint