Chris Mitchell's death

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 11, 2014
      Unexpected bad news today: Chris Mitchell, former head of the Wade Center at Wheaton College, died suddenly last night. Chris was a scholar and a gentleman and an all-around good guy, so this hits hard on all of us who were lucky enough to visit or work at the Wade while he was there.

      --John R.
    • Jo Foster
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 11, 2014
        This is terrible news.  He was such a truly kind and gentle person.  I spent a lot of time talking to him in Aston in 2005 plus we saw him in Wheaton numerous times.  If anyone can find an address for his wife, we’d like to send a card.

        Jo Foster

        Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 6:01 PM
        Subject: [mythsoc] Chris Mitchell's death

        Unexpected bad news today: Chris Mitchell, former head of the Wade Center at Wheaton College, died suddenly last night. Chris was a scholar and a gentleman and an all-around good guy, so this hits hard on all of us who were lucky enough to visit or work at the Wade while he was there.

        --John R.

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11, 2014
          John,
          Oh, no.

          He was a gentle gentleman & scholar’s scholar.

          Visiting him in his office & lunching with him was a real delight.

          I always though I’d seem him again.

          Not in this life.

          My first trip to the Wade was in 1977, before I’d met you and Taum.

          We enjoyed the 2005 Aston Mythcon.

          ‘Condolence” seems to be the only word to use.

          Mike

          Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 6:01 PM

          Unexpected bad news today: Chris Mitchell, former head of the Wade Center at Wheaton College, died suddenly last night. Chris was a scholar and a gentleman and an all-around good guy, so this hits hard on all of us who were lucky enough to visit or work at the Wade while he was there.

          --John R.

        • lynnmaudlin
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 12, 2014
            I've been so grieved about this, ever since I heard. I was off-line today until about 7:30 this evening and I'm still stunned. Chris was a lovely human being and I'm grateful to have known him. God bless his wife and family and all his friends and colleagues - this is hard.

              -- Lynn --

            Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 6:01 PM

            Unexpected bad news today: Chris Mitchell, former head of the Wade Center at Wheaton College, died suddenly last night. Chris was a scholar and a gentleman and an all-around good guy, so this hits hard on all of us who were lucky enough to visit or work at the Wade while he was there.

            --John R.

          • wendell_wagner
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 12, 2014

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 12, 2014