Re: [mythsoc] Hello

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 10, 2000
      [Everybody together] Hi, Edward. [/Everybody together]

      O.K., now, Edward, now you say the standard introduction: Hi, my name is
      Edward, and I am a mythoholic. I have been a mythoholic for [insert number]
      years. I admit am powerless to resist buying mythopoeic books . . .

      Wendell Wagner
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 10, 2000
        In a message dated 10/10/2000 10:39:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        WendellWag@... writes:

        << I admit am powerless to resist buying mythopoeic books . . . >>

        Ah, ah, but let's skip the Higher Power part before we all get in trouble
        again.

        Hi, Edward. Welcome. It gets a little wierd here sometimes but if you hang
        out in NYC you won't even notice. ggg

        Lizzie
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 10, 2000
          From: <ERATRIANO@...>

          > In a message dated 10/10/2000 10:39:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          > WendellWag@... writes:
          >
          > << I admit am powerless to resist buying mythopoeic books . . . >>
          >
          > Ah, ah, but let's skip the Higher Power part before we all get in trouble
          > again.

          > Lizzie

          Well, David [Bratman, my husband] once brought me back a button from a
          science fiction convention that reads: "I am a bookoholic. If you are a
          decent person, you will not sell me another book." To which a friend
          responded that her preferred version read "...if you are a nice person, you
          will sell me books at half price."

          Berni
          [David is not responsible for the following thing-a-ma-jig:]
        • Paul F. Labaki
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 10, 2000

            > In a message dated 10/10/2000 10:39:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > WendellWag@... writes:
            >
            > << I admit am powerless to resist buying mythopoeic books . . . >>
            >and Lizzie replied:
            > Ah, ah, but let's skip the Higher Power part before we all get in trouble
            > again.
            >
            > Lizzie

            Don't get gunshy, Lizzie. After all, if we are discussing mythopoeisis,
            there must, by definition, be a "maker."

            Nobody has to accept it, but I can't say that I've ever read a more cogent
            or seemingly probable explanation for it than Tolkien's theory of
            sub-creation. For those who are not familiar with it, I refer you to
            Tolkien's essay "On Fairy Stories."

            Peace,
            Paul
          • ERATRIANO@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 11, 2000
              In a message dated 10/10/2000 10:51:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              sheik@... writes:

              << For those who are not familiar with it, I refer you to
              Tolkien's essay "On Fairy Stories." >>

              Ah, yes, I haven't read that for a while. Due for a reread.

              I still haven't read Lewis' Till We Have Faces. Should I make apoint of it
              soon?

              Now reading: The Deed of Paksenarrion (sp?), of which I have heard much good.

              Lizzie
            • Christine Howlett
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 11, 2000
                Til We Have Faces tends to provoke strong reactions. My roommate and I both
                love C.S.L., but she HATED that book and I loved it. I still think it's his
                most powerful, though in a very dark way.

                Christine

                >In a message dated 10/10/2000 10:51:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                >sheik@... writes:
                >
                ><< For those who are not familiar with it, I refer you to
                > Tolkien's essay "On Fairy Stories." >>
                >
                >Ah, yes, I haven't read that for a while. Due for a reread.
                >
                >I still haven't read Lewis' Till We Have Faces. Should I make apoint of it
                >soon?
                >
                >Now reading: The Deed of Paksenarrion (sp?), of which I have heard much
                good.

                >Lizzie

              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 11, 2000
                  From: <ERATRIANO@...>
                  > I still haven't read Lewis' Till We Have Faces. Should I make apoint of
                  it
                  > soon?
                  >
                  > Now reading: The Deed of Paksenarrion (sp?), of which I have heard much
                  good.

                  > Lizzie

                  Having read them both, I'd say read the Lewis and skip the Moon (?). I
                  suspect that _The Deed of Paksenarrion_ may not hold up so well now that
                  there have been many more plain-folks, un-gorgeous-gals-as-heroines
                  adventure fantasies. I enjoyed it when it was new but it's basically brain
                  candy. _Till We Have Faces_ is meatier.

                  Berni
                • Trudy Shaw
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 12, 2000

                    > I still haven't read Lewis' Till We Have Faces. Should I make apoint of
                    it
                    > soon?
                    >
                    > Now reading: The Deed of Paksenarrion (sp?), of which I have heard much
                    good.

                    > Lizzie

                    I had to dash off a note on this one, as I think Till We Have Faces is one
                    of the best mythopoeic books out there and it's definitely my favorite of
                    Lewis' fiction. I think this is partly because it's his final novel, so we
                    get the advantage of a lifetime of his thought; it certainly shows evidence
                    of the development of his attitude toward women. It could also be partly
                    because it's written for adults, so the theology is able to do some
                    exploration before coalescing into an ending that sends chills down my
                    spine.

                    I can see how there would be many people who love Lewis who wouldn't
                    necessarily care for this novel. It might be pertinent that I've never
                    really taken to the Narnia books (I'm not saying they're not good, just that
                    there are a lot of mythopoeic books that I prefer to them). Someone picking
                    up Till We Have Faces expecting something similar to Lewis' earlier fiction
                    would certainly be disappointed.

                    -- Trudy
                  • Cathy Akers-Jordan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 10 1:50 PM
                      Hello Everyone,

                      I just joined the Mythopoeic Society and this Yahoo group. I know a
                      few of you from the Mythcon37Papers group and from working on an essay
                      for Tolkien on Film.

                      This year was my second Mythcon. I had a wonderful time and enjoyed
                      getting to know some of you there. I hope to get to know more of you
                      on line.

                      Cathy Akers-Jordan
                      Lecturer of English
                      The University of Michigan-Flint
                    • visualweasel
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 10 2:08 PM
                        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy Akers-Jordan" <melisande@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Hello Everyone,
                        >
                        > I just joined the Mythopoeic Society and this Yahoo group.
                        > I know a few of you from the Mythcon37Papers group and
                        > from working on an essay for Tolkien on Film.
                        >
                        > This year was my second Mythcon. I had a wonderful time
                        > and enjoyed getting to know some of you there. I hope to
                        > get to know more of you on line.

                        Welcome, Cathy! :)

                        Jason
                      • John D Rateliff
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 10 9:57 PM
                          Welcome to the list, Cathy.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 12 5:50 AM
                            > Welcome to the list, Cathy.

                            Thank you Jason and John! Is that Jason Fisher?

                            Cathy
                          • Jason Fisher
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 12 7:33 AM
                              > Thank you Jason and John! Is that Jason Fisher?

                              It is. :)
                            • Diane Joy Baker
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 18 8:28 PM
                                I concur. ---djb
                                > On Aug 10, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Cathy Akers-Jordan wrote:
                                > > Hello Everyone,
                                > >
                                > > I just joined the Mythopoeic Society and this Yahoo group. I know a
                                > > few of you from the Mythcon37Papers group and from working on an essay
                                > > for Tolkien on Film.
                                > >
                                > > This year was my second Mythcon. I had a wonderful time and enjoyed
                                > > getting to know some of you there. I hope to get to know more of you
                                > > on line.
                                > >
                                > > Cathy Akers-Jordan
                                > > Lecturer of English
                                > > The University of Michigan-Flint

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                >

                                > --

                              • Cathy Akers-Jordan
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 19 6:17 AM
                                  Thanks, Diane!

                                  Cathy

                                  > > On Aug 10, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Cathy Akers-Jordan wrote:
                                  > > > Hello Everyone,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I just joined the Mythopoeic Society and this Yahoo group. I know a
                                  > > > few of you from the Mythcon37Papers group and from working on an
                                  essay
                                  > > > for Tolkien on Film.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > This year was my second Mythcon. I had a wonderful time and enjoyed
                                  > > > getting to know some of you there. I hope to get to know more of you
                                  > > > on line.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Cathy Akers-Jordan
                                  > > > Lecturer of English
                                  > > > The University of Michigan-Flint