thin Star Wars

  • Nagy Gergely
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 1999
      Diane,

      don't get me wrong either. Of course the Star Wars universe is much, well,
      'thinner' than Tolkien's world, but look at the text in which great myths
      or mythic circles are articulated! It's not the text itself that counts,
      it's the 'openness' and the number of its implications, and Star Wars does
      exactly what Tolkien, in this respect: it gives you a brief description of
      a world and leaves to your imagination and logic to fill up the details.
      It's only a question of the quantity of these leads that makes the
      difference, I believe. And by the way, Star Wars has grown into a very
      'thick' system in the meanwhile with all the Star Wars SF-books appearing,
      which, if I'm right in assuming, are 'canonised' by Lucas for some extent.
      Doubtless the oncoming new episodes will shatter some details that some
      individuals have built up during the time that elapsed dince 'Jedi', ande
      I suppose this is why some people will not like these new films. If you
      have paistakingly worked out what the Clone wars were, and you find that
      in the 'canonical' version (I gather the Clone wars, for example, will be
      the subject of the episode coming out in 2002) is everything but that, it
      may shatter you a bit.
      So I still find Star Wars a great mythopoieic thing, and still think it is
      fundamentally similar to Tolkien's technique.

      Gergely Nagy
      Jozsef Attila University
      Szeged, Hungary