Hello

  • Edward Einhorn
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 10, 2000
      Hi, I am a new member of the Mythopoeic Society, and
      I'm signing onto this egroup for the first time. My
      name is Edward Einhorn, and I'm the author of "Paradox
      in Oz" (a sequel to the Oz series that just came out
      for its 100th anniversary). I also write plays and
      run an Off-Off Broadway theater company in New York.

      Anyway, I just wanted to say hi.

      Edward

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 10, 2000
        [Everybody together] Hi, Edward. [/Everybody together]

        O.K., now, Edward, now you say the standard introduction: Hi, my name is
        Edward, and I am a mythoholic. I have been a mythoholic for [insert number]
        years. I admit am powerless to resist buying mythopoeic books . . .

        Wendell Wagner
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 10, 2000
          In a message dated 10/10/2000 10:39:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          WendellWag@... writes:

          << I admit am powerless to resist buying mythopoeic books . . . >>

          Ah, ah, but let's skip the Higher Power part before we all get in trouble
          again.

          Hi, Edward. Welcome. It gets a little wierd here sometimes but if you hang
          out in NYC you won't even notice. ggg

          Lizzie
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 10, 2000
            From: <ERATRIANO@...>

            > In a message dated 10/10/2000 10:39:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > WendellWag@... writes:
            >
            > << I admit am powerless to resist buying mythopoeic books . . . >>
            >
            > Ah, ah, but let's skip the Higher Power part before we all get in trouble
            > again.

            > Lizzie

            Well, David [Bratman, my husband] once brought me back a button from a
            science fiction convention that reads: "I am a bookoholic. If you are a
            decent person, you will not sell me another book." To which a friend
            responded that her preferred version read "...if you are a nice person, you
            will sell me books at half price."

            Berni
            [David is not responsible for the following thing-a-ma-jig:]
          • Paul F. Labaki
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 10, 2000

              > In a message dated 10/10/2000 10:39:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              > WendellWag@... writes:
              >
              > << I admit am powerless to resist buying mythopoeic books . . . >>
              >and Lizzie replied:
              > Ah, ah, but let's skip the Higher Power part before we all get in trouble
              > again.
              >
              > Lizzie

              Don't get gunshy, Lizzie. After all, if we are discussing mythopoeisis,
              there must, by definition, be a "maker."

              Nobody has to accept it, but I can't say that I've ever read a more cogent
              or seemingly probable explanation for it than Tolkien's theory of
              sub-creation. For those who are not familiar with it, I refer you to
              Tolkien's essay "On Fairy Stories."

              Peace,
              Paul
            • ERATRIANO@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 11, 2000
                In a message dated 10/10/2000 10:51:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                sheik@... writes:

                << For those who are not familiar with it, I refer you to
                Tolkien's essay "On Fairy Stories." >>

                Ah, yes, I haven't read that for a while. Due for a reread.

                I still haven't read Lewis' Till We Have Faces. Should I make apoint of it
                soon?

                Now reading: The Deed of Paksenarrion (sp?), of which I have heard much good.

                Lizzie
              • Christine Howlett
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 11, 2000
                  Til We Have Faces tends to provoke strong reactions. My roommate and I both
                  love C.S.L., but she HATED that book and I loved it. I still think it's his
                  most powerful, though in a very dark way.

                  Christine

                  >In a message dated 10/10/2000 10:51:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  >sheik@... writes:
                  >
                  ><< For those who are not familiar with it, I refer you to
                  > Tolkien's essay "On Fairy Stories." >>
                  >
                  >Ah, yes, I haven't read that for a while. Due for a reread.
                  >
                  >I still haven't read Lewis' Till We Have Faces. Should I make apoint of it
                  >soon?
                  >
                  >Now reading: The Deed of Paksenarrion (sp?), of which I have heard much
                  good.

                  >Lizzie

                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 11, 2000
                    From: <ERATRIANO@...>
                    > I still haven't read Lewis' Till We Have Faces. Should I make apoint of
                    it
                    > soon?
                    >
                    > Now reading: The Deed of Paksenarrion (sp?), of which I have heard much
                    good.

                    > Lizzie

                    Having read them both, I'd say read the Lewis and skip the Moon (?). I
                    suspect that _The Deed of Paksenarrion_ may not hold up so well now that
                    there have been many more plain-folks, un-gorgeous-gals-as-heroines
                    adventure fantasies. I enjoyed it when it was new but it's basically brain
                    candy. _Till We Have Faces_ is meatier.

                    Berni
                  • Trudy Shaw
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 12, 2000

                      > I still haven't read Lewis' Till We Have Faces. Should I make apoint of
                      it
                      > soon?
                      >
                      > Now reading: The Deed of Paksenarrion (sp?), of which I have heard much
                      good.

                      > Lizzie

                      I had to dash off a note on this one, as I think Till We Have Faces is one
                      of the best mythopoeic books out there and it's definitely my favorite of
                      Lewis' fiction. I think this is partly because it's his final novel, so we
                      get the advantage of a lifetime of his thought; it certainly shows evidence
                      of the development of his attitude toward women. It could also be partly
                      because it's written for adults, so the theology is able to do some
                      exploration before coalescing into an ending that sends chills down my
                      spine.

                      I can see how there would be many people who love Lewis who wouldn't
                      necessarily care for this novel. It might be pertinent that I've never
                      really taken to the Narnia books (I'm not saying they're not good, just that
                      there are a lot of mythopoeic books that I prefer to them). Someone picking
                      up Till We Have Faces expecting something similar to Lewis' earlier fiction
                      would certainly be disappointed.

                      -- Trudy
                    • Cathy Akers-Jordan
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 10, 2006
                        Hello Everyone,

                        I just joined the Mythopoeic Society and this Yahoo group. I know a
                        few of you from the Mythcon37Papers group and from working on an essay
                        for Tolkien on Film.

                        This year was my second Mythcon. I had a wonderful time and enjoyed
                        getting to know some of you there. I hope to get to know more of you
                        on line.

                        Cathy Akers-Jordan
                        Lecturer of English
                        The University of Michigan-Flint
                      • visualweasel
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 10, 2006
                          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy Akers-Jordan" <melisande@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Hello Everyone,
                          >
                          > I just joined the Mythopoeic Society and this Yahoo group.
                          > I know a few of you from the Mythcon37Papers group and
                          > from working on an essay for Tolkien on Film.
                          >
                          > This year was my second Mythcon. I had a wonderful time
                          > and enjoyed getting to know some of you there. I hope to
                          > get to know more of you on line.

                          Welcome, Cathy! :)

                          Jason
                        • John D Rateliff
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 10, 2006
                            Welcome to the list, Cathy.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
                              > Welcome to the list, Cathy.

                              Thank you Jason and John! Is that Jason Fisher?

                              Cathy
                            • Jason Fisher
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
                                > Thank you Jason and John! Is that Jason Fisher?

                                It is. :)
                              • Diane Joy Baker
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 18, 2006
                                  I concur. ---djb
                                  > On Aug 10, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Cathy Akers-Jordan wrote:
                                  > > Hello Everyone,
                                  > >
                                  > > I just joined the Mythopoeic Society and this Yahoo group. I know a
                                  > > few of you from the Mythcon37Papers group and from working on an essay
                                  > > for Tolkien on Film.
                                  > >
                                  > > This year was my second Mythcon. I had a wonderful time and enjoyed
                                  > > getting to know some of you there. I hope to get to know more of you
                                  > > on line.
                                  > >
                                  > > Cathy Akers-Jordan
                                  > > Lecturer of English
                                  > > The University of Michigan-Flint

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  >

                                  > --

                                • Cathy Akers-Jordan
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 19, 2006
                                    Thanks, Diane!

                                    Cathy

                                    > > On Aug 10, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Cathy Akers-Jordan wrote:
                                    > > > Hello Everyone,
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I just joined the Mythopoeic Society and this Yahoo group. I know a
                                    > > > few of you from the Mythcon37Papers group and from working on an
                                    essay
                                    > > > for Tolkien on Film.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > This year was my second Mythcon. I had a wonderful time and enjoyed
                                    > > > getting to know some of you there. I hope to get to know more of you
                                    > > > on line.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Cathy Akers-Jordan
                                    > > > Lecturer of English
                                    > > > The University of Michigan-Flint