LORD OF THE RINGS FELLOWSHIP WILL SMOKE

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2000
      LORD OF THE RINGS FELLOWSHIP WILL SMOKE

      Inhabitants of Middle Earth in Peter Jackson's upcoming Lord of the Rings
      film trilogy won't give up their love of tobacco, according to a report in
      the New Zealand Evening Post newspaper. Despite misgivings by that
      country's
      Asthma and Respiratory Foundation, among others, filmmakers will remain
      true
      to Rings author J.R.R. Tolkien's depiction of characters with a fondness
      for
      pipe smoking.

      Sir Ian McKellen, who plays Gandalf, said in a radio interview, "I was
      wondering whether because of political correctness--people's worries of the
      dangers of smoking--that in a film a lot of children are likely to see we'd
      be asked to cut down the smoking, or not have it."

      McKellen added, "It is pipe smoking, which if you don't inhale is safer
      than
      cigarettes. However, the hobbits, played as quite young people in our film,
      are all smoking away on their pipes."

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
      MNSCREENW lists