Re: [mythsoc] Re: New Tolkien Criticism

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2000
      Way back on Thu, 28 Sep 2000 Stolzi@... quoted from the iafa-l list:

      > > Hi, I figured that Dan Timmons, one of our numbers, would be too humble to
      > > announce the publication of his J. R. R. TOLKIEN AND HIS LITERARY
      > > RESONANCES from Greenwood Press, so I thought I would do it for him. For
      > > those of you who are interested, you can find the details at
      > > http://info.greenwood.com/books/0313308/0313308454.html.

      The copy I ordered pre-publication has just arrived. Without having read
      it yet, I can at least say it looks good. Where _Tolkien's Legendarium_
      (the Greenwood book from January edited by Verlyn Flieger and Carl
      Hostetter) took mostly a "deep inside" perspective, focusing on the
      posthumous works and discussing _The Hobbit_ and LOTR only in comparison
      with them, this book takes a more outside perspective. Some of the
      essays discuss H and LOTR for their own sakes, and others compare Tolkien
      with authors as various as Milton, Haggard, Lewis, Greer Ilene Gilman,
      and the Icelandic saga authors. Much of this sort of thing has been done
      before, but there's room for plenty more of it.

      (The preceding has, with any luck, been a draft for the first paragraph
      of my review.)

      David Bratman