Re: Peake and Steerpike

  • vaar aragon
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2000
      I only read 3/4 of the first book (I like Gothic, but I happened to
      believe there's more to Gothic than just the gargoyles. Gormenghast
      is just about the gargoyles ;) so I'm not a good judge. But my
      feelings were about the same as yours, I admired Steerpike, sort of
      liked Titus & some of the other characters (including that trusty-
      servant-whose-name-I-can't-remember-but-I-think-is-played-by-
      Crhistopher-Lee-in-the-miniseries ;), but really couldn't imagine
      imagine any of them as plausible heroes except Steerpike.

      The trouble is (& this may be the point Peake is trying to make) is
      that there wasn't any compelling reason to perceive Steerpike as a
      proper villain. Just an underdog doing mildly distasteful political
      things to get to the top of a mildly distasteful pecking order...

      --- In mythsoc@egroups.com, Melinda Jane Harrison <jharrison3@m...>
      wrote:
      > Hello All!
      >
      > I just finished the books. And well, I shall probably think about
      these
      > novels for a long time. I am going to say something and I feel
      certain
      > that no one will probably agree with me, but Steerpike is the true
      hero of
      > these stories, in my most humble opinion. Flaws, murder, his own
      death and
      > all. Titus is really impotent, as is all of Gormenghast and its
      inhabitants.

      > I often wonder now, after reading it, if Peake, after his
      experiences with
      > War and his thoughts on his times, if subconsciously he was writing
      about a
      > hero who was going to throw over the old order of the world---
      Gormenghast
      > being our world of capitalism, war, etc. and that Steerpike used
      those very
      > tools, in a modest <g> sort of personal way to throw out the order
      of
      > Gormenghast. Even the new earl leaves at the end, but to what end
      I don't
      > know or can imagine, since "there is nothing new out there." <G>
      >
      > But then again.......
      >
      > I may be totally wrong. But that's how I see it now. Steerpike
      reminded
      > me of Hamlet in some ways. Not Titus. I actually got where I liked
      > Steerpike and understood him. Of course that's a dangerous thought
      in some
      > respects. No matter how I tried, I could not see Titus as the
      heroic figure.
      > He was a baby, then a child, then not much more than that. He was
      always a
      > child and acted upon.
      > And when he did act, say when it was about his love for The Thing,
      etc. it
      > reminded me of an impotent boy. And quite honestly, I don't know
      if he
      > would have ever ACTED and left if it had not been for Steerpike's
      actions.

      > So who is the real hero? And who won?
      >
      > Of course, Peake was planning more novels, but I think readers
      would have
      > been disappointed in many ways. Gormenghast was the center. The
      third,
      > well, I discount it. Peake was ill and hardly able to write. What
      he
      > began centered around Gormenghast and around Steerpike. I don't
      > know...it's disturbing in some ways. And I am disturbed by it.
      <G>

      > Jane
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2000
        On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Melinda Jane Harrison wrote:

        > I just finished the books. And well, I shall probably think about these
        > novels for a long time. I am going to say something and I feel certain
        > that no one will probably agree with me, but Steerpike is the true hero of
        > these stories, in my most humble opinion. Flaws, murder, his own death and
        > all. Titus is really impotent, as is all of Gormenghast and its inhabitants.

        Steerpike is certainly a more active protagonist than Titus is, but
        whether Steerpike can be called the hero depends at least in part on what
        you think the word "hero" means. Would "anti-hero" be applicable, perhaps?

        And Titus realizes his impotency and that of Gormenghast. That's why he
        leaves. It's he, more than Steerpike, who understands this: Steerpike
        wishes to control Gormenghast, which implies it's something worth
        controlling, and it is the castle's vast inertia which, in the end,
        defeats him. (This is insofar as Steerpike has a plan: a totally
        subjective madness is also part of him from the beginning.)

        > Of course, Peake was planning more novels, but I think readers would have
        > been disappointed in many ways. Gormenghast was the center. The third,
        > well, I discount it. Peake was ill and hardly able to write. What he
        > began centered around Gormenghast and around Steerpike. I don't
        > know...it's disturbing in some ways. And I am disturbed by it. <G>

        You can't dismiss _Titus Alone_ by the author's illness. Its basic
        thrust and plan were determined before he became incapacitated, and most
        of the writing was done before then too. If it's "disappointing" (I
        prefer the term "disillusioning" for the attitude it implies towards
        Gormenghast) it was meant to be. The existence of _Titus Alone_ it
        itself a criticism of the castle, one along the same lines as your own
        criticism. Nobody in _Titus Alone_ really believes Titus's story, and by
        the end he has almost come to disbelieve it himself: thus the ending of
        the book.

        David Bratman