Re: [mythsoc] Books and children

  • Paul F. Labaki
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
      > <<
      > Were there books you loved as a child that wouldn't pass muster now? <<
      >
      > Doctor Doolittle.

      Many many, but most significantly _Indian Paint_ by Glenn Balch (copyright
      1942, but still holding up very nicely in 1969 when I read it as a second
      grader) and the various beast fables of Thornton W. Burgess which I found
      enchanting as a child. I now find them tedious, unlike AEsop's fables which
      I still enjoy, but in relatively small doses.

      >>> Are there adult books that =are= "as good as the ones you loved as a

      > Books I enjoyed as a child, the Oz books for example, leave me unimpressed
      > today. An exception is Howard Pyle's Robin Hood (with his illustrations, of
      > course). I read that with the same unalloyed delight with which I read it as
      > a schoolboy.

      This remains one of my most loved stories. I read it every 2 years. Pyle
      brings to life a fairy tale England, but one we can recognize and accept as
      our own because it is populated by men and women who revel in lives raw with
      emotion; they revel and sorrow just like us and a little more extreme. The
      lack of the supernatural, magic and the existence of fairies keeps it
      plausible. the joy of life Pyle depicts is contagious and the reader sets
      the book down in better humor than when he began to read (at least I
      invariably do).

      Peace,
      Paul>

    • vaar aragon
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
        > > Books I enjoyed as a child, the Oz books for example, leave me
        unimpressed
        > > today.

        THe OZ books to me are good entertainment but poor literature...I
        think some of the darker ones-Ozma of Oz, Glinda of Oz, maybe Land of
        Oz (which isn't esp. dark) have enough imagination to overcome the
        limited writing. The first book, mmm, let's just say that the
        movie's better than the book deserves ;)