Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: Tolkien's 1926 Translation of Beowulf To Be Published in M...

  • wendell_wagner
    Message 1 of 88 , Mar 25 5:32 AM
      Oh, come on.  Yes, he didn't ask this in a very polite fashion.  You didn't answer it in a very polite fashion.  Now, can someone be polite and answer the question?

      Wendell Wagner

      In a message dated 3/25/2014 8:30:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dbratman@... writes:

      Anyone who says "Laundry Lists" doesn't deserve an answer.  They won't like this anyway.

      Message 88 of 88 , Apr 2, 2014
        Well, kudos to the poster, he certainly fooled me.  Of course, I tend to be gullible, and I swallowed it.
        --
        Larry Swain

        On Tue, Apr 1, 2014, at 01:52 PM, Troels Forchhammer wrote:

        I do not know if the addition of “a proper attribution at the bottom” which reads: “[Extracts courtesy of Ms. May Doupe at HarperCollins, first publicized 1st April 2014]” is of any help in determining the intent of the post? The user who has posted this is studying comparative philology and I would certainly consider him to be able to create a plausible-sounding text.

        /Troels

        On 1 April 2014 19:41, <solicitr@...> wrote:

        However, this passage (added to the foum post since the part quoted above) raises any number of 1 Viresse red flags:

        "That this plan did not in the event bear fruit(1) proved in the long run fatal, as we shall see, to both her line and the Geatish kingdom. This romance plotline is is self-evidently one of the central concerns of our anonymous 6th century Kentish poet.

        (1) See the earlier comments on Béowulf's homosexuality in connection with the Breca episode, elaborated below in relation to Wígláf (whose joining into Béowulf's lineage, his cynnes, sheds interesting light on early Anglo-Saxon marriage customs)."

        --
            Love while you've got
                love to give.

                                  love email again