Re: [mythsoc] Similar Books

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2000
      In a message dated 09/26/2000 12:39:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      alexeik@... writes:

      << Another writer who I think has been strongly influenced by Peake (although
      nobody seems to think of her in that context) is Sherri Tepper. >>

      I have found that Tepper can require a bit of fortitude to read and survive
      the hauntings. I don't think "enjoy" is quite the word to use in regard to
      her books, but I would read several of them again. Should I then avoid
      Peake, if I have such a frail spirit? LOL

      Lizzie
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2000
        On Tue, 3 Oct 2000 ERATRIANO@... wrote:

        > I have found that Tepper can require a bit of fortitude to read and survive
        > the hauntings. I don't think "enjoy" is quite the word to use in regard to
        > her books, but I would read several of them again. Should I then avoid
        > Peake, if I have such a frail spirit? LOL

        Goodness no. If one needs fortitude to read Tepper, it's because she's
        trying to argue a philosophical position in her books (something she
        shares with Lewis, though their positions are different). Peake is not,
        and I'm sure Alexei is referring to a quite different type of similarity.

        David Bratman
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2000
          In a message dated 10/03/2000 2:07:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          dbratman@... writes:

          << If one needs fortitude to read Tepper, it's because she's
          trying to argue a philosophical position in her books (something she
          shares with Lewis, though their positions are different). Peake is not,
          and I'm sure Alexei is referring to a quite different type of similarity. >>

          Oh, I don't know if that's what I need the energy for. It's more against the
          gruesome images, which could be argued, however, as being part of her
          rhetoric.

          Lizzie