Re: [mythsoc] Re: Cold Poe

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3 6:33 AM
      In a message dated 10/02/2000 10:51:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      aragonvaar@... writes:

      << > My favorite Poe story is probably "Ligeia."

      Mine too! & even the movie's halfway cool!

      There's a movie?

      Lizzie
    • vaar aragon
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3 5:37 PM
        --- In mythsoc@egroups.com, ERATRIANO@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 10/02/2000 10:51:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > aragonvaar@h... writes:
        >
        > << > My favorite Poe story is probably "Ligeia."
        >
        > Mine too! & even the movie's halfway cool!
        > >>
        > There's a movie?
        >
        > Lizzie

        Tomb of Ligeia, starring Vincent Price, directed by the notorious
        Roger Corman (but written by a guy who won an Oscar for Chinatown, if
        that means anything). It's mostly told from Lady Rowena's pov, so
        it's sort of Ligeia crossed w/ Du Maurier's Rebecca. A great
        performance by the lead actress, a neat musical score, and a fair
        amount of Poe-tic atmosphere. NOT subtle, but you'd probably already
        guessed that ;)
      • Sophie Masson
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3 8:12 PM
          I actually used POe's strange novella The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym in
          my own 1997 novel, The Hoax(Minerva, Random House Australia).
          Sophie
          Author site:
          http://members.xoom.com/sophiecastel/default.htm

          >> In a message dated 10/02/2000 10:51:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          >> aragonvaar@h... writes:
          >>
          >> << > My favorite Poe story is probably "Ligeia."
          >>
          >> Mine too! & even the movie's halfway cool!
          >> >>
          >> There's a movie?
          >>
          >> Lizzie
          >
          >Tomb of Ligeia, starring Vincent Price, directed by the notorious
          >Roger Corman (but written by a guy who won an Oscar for Chinatown, if
          >that means anything). It's mostly told from Lady Rowena's pov, so
          >it's sort of Ligeia crossed w/ Du Maurier's Rebecca. A great
          >performance by the lead actress, a neat musical score, and a fair
          >amount of Poe-tic atmosphere. NOT subtle, but you'd probably already
          >guessed that ;)

        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3 9:56 PM
            Roger Corman is where a lot of people in LA get their start, IF
            they can put up with him. Because he's cheap, he hires the young
            and inexperienced. But ask him for more money and you're out. But
            people have to start somewhere and Roger was willing to give you
            that start. And he will creative support you, even though the
            money isn't always the best. Which means, if you have the talent,
            you can usually get something nice to put in your portfolio.
            Which is why a lot of famous names started there. And he does
            have a good sense of horror and a so-so sense of SF. So he is
            liked by fans of the genre though rarely does he do Great Works.

            His best work was with Price, usually doing Poe. Oh, and Little
            Shop of Horrors.

            Lisa