Praying to Isis and Artemis

  • Melinda Jane Harrison
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
      Hi:

      I had to jump in on this one because of something that happened recently to
      my husband and I.
      Organized Christian prayer is a very hot issue in our county. And so is
      witchcraft and Harry Potter, etc. Well, we get letters to the local paper
      ALL the time on praying and how "they" have ruined the school systems
      because they took "God" out of it. Well, one fellow recently, against his
      better judgement and asking for forgiveness at the same time, wrote in and
      said "that the Christians ought to be leaving well enough alone and let the
      ruling stand or the next thing you know, our kids will be having to say all
      kinds of prayers in school, like Muslin prayers and even Catholic prayers."
      This guy was so ignorant, he didn't even realize he was being a bigot. I
      mean it. He was totally sincere. He went on and on about the ACLU and how
      if good Christians just leave well enough alone, we can keep the right kind
      of praying going secretly, etc. It was unbelievable, right there in print,
      and telling it just like it is from their viewpoint. My husband just
      couldn't leave it alone. He wrote this wonderful ironic letter, praising
      this man while kindly putting him and others in their place. It dripped
      with wit and satire and an equal share of compliments. At first they
      wouldn't print it, but John faxed it in every week until they finally did.
      It was hilarious, only copies of my husband's letter apparently through
      went churches all over the neighboring counties like wildfire and one copy
      finally landed in the hands of his father who does not even take a paper or
      hardly talks to a neighbor. But someone at his church gave him one because
      they were concerned for John's soul. Since then, my dear husband has had
      to go through hours and hours of "witnessing" and talking about God,
      religion, and America. See, I am Catholic, and so are our 3 sons. In our
      county in Mississippi, Catholics are equal to Jews and Muslins and right
      above Blacks.

      So it's not just Artemis and Isis prayers. If I went to school and demanded
      that the Hail Mary be said for my 3 kids once a month, they would all
      croak!!!!!!!!!!! However, I have made no such demands.
      And for years, my kids have had to suffer quietly because they are a
      minority religion. Most people don't even consider them Christians. Of
      course, I find this all pretty amusing myself. And have taught my sons
      that tolerance is a good thing. They just laugh it off and go on. And yes,
      Harry Potter is an evil agent of the devil. All witches are, even
      metaphorical ones.

      Jane

      >Would they oppose a ban on praying to Isis or Artemis, I wonder?
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
        This discussion is getting WAY off topic for this group. Again, please
        remember that others on the list may not have the same religious beliefs
        as yours. Please try to keep discussions in the context of Mythopoeic
        Literature or the Mythopoeic Society.

        Thanks,
        Joan
        List Administrator
        Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
        List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
        MNSCREENW lists
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 15, 2000
          I've had the following message from a student in Poland, Pawel Hibner. His
          subject is mostly beyond my knowledge, and his question about an academic
          exchange is outside my experience, so with his permission I'm forwarding
          his queries in case any other member of this list can help him. If so,
          please write to Pawel directly, at <phibner@...>.

          Wayne Hammond

          ----------

          I am writing to you as I really don't know who to get in touch with.

          I am a Polish Ph.D. student writing on gender and power in fantasy and SF.
          I am looking for any ideas, views, articles, essays etc, that would help me
          write and accomplish my dissertation.

          I was also advised by my supervisor to get in touch with a university where
          I could attend some sort of exchange scholarship or fellowship in order to
          consult my written piece and to broaden my knowledge on the topic right on
          the site before I present my dissertation down here in Poland.

          please forgive me my bothering you but believe I have nobody to ask for
          advice or help.

          Pawel Hibner