Re: [mythsoc] Books and children

  • Christine Howlett
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2000
      Honey, so many of US are dated, we tend to be a little sensitive! Not but
      what I believe (from my datedness?) that many of these older stories still
      have a lot of magic and wisdome left in them. Now if I can just convince my
      nieces that I do, too...
      Christine

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2000
        In a message dated 10/01/2000 10:16:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        chowlett@... writes:

        << Now if I can just convince my nieces that I do, too... >>

        Give them the books. After a few times they might start associating you with
        the magic.

        Lizzie
      • Paul F. Labaki
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
          > <<
          > Were there books you loved as a child that wouldn't pass muster now? <<
          >
          > Doctor Doolittle.

          Many many, but most significantly _Indian Paint_ by Glenn Balch (copyright
          1942, but still holding up very nicely in 1969 when I read it as a second
          grader) and the various beast fables of Thornton W. Burgess which I found
          enchanting as a child. I now find them tedious, unlike AEsop's fables which
          I still enjoy, but in relatively small doses.

          >>> Are there adult books that =are= "as good as the ones you loved as a

          > Books I enjoyed as a child, the Oz books for example, leave me unimpressed
          > today. An exception is Howard Pyle's Robin Hood (with his illustrations, of
          > course). I read that with the same unalloyed delight with which I read it as
          > a schoolboy.

          This remains one of my most loved stories. I read it every 2 years. Pyle
          brings to life a fairy tale England, but one we can recognize and accept as
          our own because it is populated by men and women who revel in lives raw with
          emotion; they revel and sorrow just like us and a little more extreme. The
          lack of the supernatural, magic and the existence of fairies keeps it
          plausible. the joy of life Pyle depicts is contagious and the reader sets
          the book down in better humor than when he began to read (at least I
          invariably do).

          Peace,
          Paul>

        • vaar aragon
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
            > > Books I enjoyed as a child, the Oz books for example, leave me
            unimpressed
            > > today.

            THe OZ books to me are good entertainment but poor literature...I
            think some of the darker ones-Ozma of Oz, Glinda of Oz, maybe Land of
            Oz (which isn't esp. dark) have enough imagination to overcome the
            limited writing. The first book, mmm, let's just say that the
            movie's better than the book deserves ;)