Reminder: Call for Nominations for 2014 Mythopoeic Awards

  • Oberhelman, D
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2014

      Happy New Year and Happy Tolkien’s Birthday!

      Just a gentle reminder to send me your nominations for the 2014 Mythopoeic Awards (February 10th is the deadline), and also to let me know if you’d like to volunteer for the selection committees (Adult literature, Children’s literature, or Scholarship).  Please send nominations or questions about eligibility to me in a separate email to awards@....  The categories and dates are below, and please limit your nominees to five.

      Best,

      David

      Mythopoeic Awards Administrator

      The Fantasy Award for Adult Literature is given to the fantasy novel, multi-volume novel, or single-author story collection for adults published during in 2013 that best exemplifies “the spirit of the Inklings”. Books not selected as finalists in the year after publication are eligible for a second year. Books from a series are eligible if they stand on their own; otherwise, the series becomes eligible the year its final volume appears.

      The Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children’s Literature honors books for younger readers (from “Young Adults” to picture books for beginning readers), in the tradition of The Hobbit or The Chronicles of Narnia.  Rules for eligibility are otherwise the same as for the Adult literature award.  The question of which award a borderline book is best suited for will be decided by consensus of the committees.

      The Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies is given to books on J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and/or Charles Williams that make significant contributions to Inklings scholarship. For this award, books first published from 2011 through 2013 are eligible, including finalists for previous years.

      The Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Myth and Fantasy Studies is given to scholarly books on other specific authors in the Inklings tradition, or to more general works on the genres of myth and fantasy. The period of eligibility is three years, as for the Inklings Studies award.