Re: [mythsoc] Books and children

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2000
      << I suspect I'd still like Lofting's curiously dry style and even more dry
      illustrations. I know as a child I loved them, read them over and over. >>

      I've read them again, now and then. Love the Cat's-Meat-Man, too. They are
      dated, but so is Kipling, and many of the others that we still love. Didn't
      I get chewed out a while ago right here on this list for saying something was
      dated? LOL

      Lizzie
    • Christine Howlett
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2000
        Honey, so many of US are dated, we tend to be a little sensitive! Not but
        what I believe (from my datedness?) that many of these older stories still
        have a lot of magic and wisdome left in them. Now if I can just convince my
        nieces that I do, too...
        Christine

      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2000
          In a message dated 10/01/2000 10:16:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          chowlett@... writes:

          << Now if I can just convince my nieces that I do, too... >>

          Give them the books. After a few times they might start associating you with
          the magic.

          Lizzie
        • Paul F. Labaki
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
            > <<
            > Were there books you loved as a child that wouldn't pass muster now? <<
            >
            > Doctor Doolittle.

            Many many, but most significantly _Indian Paint_ by Glenn Balch (copyright
            1942, but still holding up very nicely in 1969 when I read it as a second
            grader) and the various beast fables of Thornton W. Burgess which I found
            enchanting as a child. I now find them tedious, unlike AEsop's fables which
            I still enjoy, but in relatively small doses.

            >>> Are there adult books that =are= "as good as the ones you loved as a

            > Books I enjoyed as a child, the Oz books for example, leave me unimpressed
            > today. An exception is Howard Pyle's Robin Hood (with his illustrations, of
            > course). I read that with the same unalloyed delight with which I read it as
            > a schoolboy.

            This remains one of my most loved stories. I read it every 2 years. Pyle
            brings to life a fairy tale England, but one we can recognize and accept as
            our own because it is populated by men and women who revel in lives raw with
            emotion; they revel and sorrow just like us and a little more extreme. The
            lack of the supernatural, magic and the existence of fairies keeps it
            plausible. the joy of life Pyle depicts is contagious and the reader sets
            the book down in better humor than when he began to read (at least I
            invariably do).

            Peace,
            Paul>

          • vaar aragon
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
              > > Books I enjoyed as a child, the Oz books for example, leave me
              unimpressed
              > > today.

              THe OZ books to me are good entertainment but poor literature...I
              think some of the darker ones-Ozma of Oz, Glinda of Oz, maybe Land of
              Oz (which isn't esp. dark) have enough imagination to overcome the
              limited writing. The first book, mmm, let's just say that the
              movie's better than the book deserves ;)