Re: [mythsoc] Books and children

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2000
      In a message dated 9/30/00 2:32:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
      LSolarion@... writes:

      > In a message dated 09/16/2000 9:23:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      > Stolzi@... writes:
      >
      > <<
      > Were there books you loved as a child that wouldn't pass muster now? <<
      >
      > Doctor Doolittle.

      Is that general, or just because of the politically incorrect parts about
      Prince Bumppo, or whatever his name was? I was rather pleased to see there
      is a modern edition which has changed that, so modern children can still read
      them.

      I suspect I'd still like Lofting's curiously dry style and even more dry
      illustrations. I know as a child I loved them, read them over and over.

      The Pushmi-Pullyu was great!

      Mary S
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2000
        << I suspect I'd still like Lofting's curiously dry style and even more dry
        illustrations. I know as a child I loved them, read them over and over. >>

        I've read them again, now and then. Love the Cat's-Meat-Man, too. They are
        dated, but so is Kipling, and many of the others that we still love. Didn't
        I get chewed out a while ago right here on this list for saying something was
        dated? LOL

        Lizzie
      • Christine Howlett
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2000
          Honey, so many of US are dated, we tend to be a little sensitive! Not but
          what I believe (from my datedness?) that many of these older stories still
          have a lot of magic and wisdome left in them. Now if I can just convince my
          nieces that I do, too...
          Christine

        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2000
            In a message dated 10/01/2000 10:16:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            chowlett@... writes:

            << Now if I can just convince my nieces that I do, too... >>

            Give them the books. After a few times they might start associating you with
            the magic.

            Lizzie
          • Paul F. Labaki
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
              > <<
              > Were there books you loved as a child that wouldn't pass muster now? <<
              >
              > Doctor Doolittle.

              Many many, but most significantly _Indian Paint_ by Glenn Balch (copyright
              1942, but still holding up very nicely in 1969 when I read it as a second
              grader) and the various beast fables of Thornton W. Burgess which I found
              enchanting as a child. I now find them tedious, unlike AEsop's fables which
              I still enjoy, but in relatively small doses.

              >>> Are there adult books that =are= "as good as the ones you loved as a

              > Books I enjoyed as a child, the Oz books for example, leave me unimpressed
              > today. An exception is Howard Pyle's Robin Hood (with his illustrations, of
              > course). I read that with the same unalloyed delight with which I read it as
              > a schoolboy.

              This remains one of my most loved stories. I read it every 2 years. Pyle
              brings to life a fairy tale England, but one we can recognize and accept as
              our own because it is populated by men and women who revel in lives raw with
              emotion; they revel and sorrow just like us and a little more extreme. The
              lack of the supernatural, magic and the existence of fairies keeps it
              plausible. the joy of life Pyle depicts is contagious and the reader sets
              the book down in better humor than when he began to read (at least I
              invariably do).

              Peace,
              Paul>

            • vaar aragon
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
                > > Books I enjoyed as a child, the Oz books for example, leave me
                unimpressed
                > > today.

                THe OZ books to me are good entertainment but poor literature...I
                think some of the darker ones-Ozma of Oz, Glinda of Oz, maybe Land of
                Oz (which isn't esp. dark) have enough imagination to overcome the
                limited writing. The first book, mmm, let's just say that the
                movie's better than the book deserves ;)