Re: [mythsoc] [Fwd: Harry Potter as Satan's agent]

  • Mary Kay Kare
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2000
      LSolarion@... wrote:

      > Anyway, that's the down-and-dirty from one who has been there. Most
      > neo-Pagans are ex-Christians who are reacting against both real abuses and
      > distorted interpretations of historic Christianity. They need our prayers.
      > Steve

      Excuse me, but if I want your prayers I'll ask for them. As I do not
      feel in need of them, I don't that's for you to determine.

      MKK
    • Melinda Jane Harrison
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
        Hi:

        I had to jump in on this one because of something that happened recently to
        my husband and I.
        Organized Christian prayer is a very hot issue in our county. And so is
        witchcraft and Harry Potter, etc. Well, we get letters to the local paper
        ALL the time on praying and how "they" have ruined the school systems
        because they took "God" out of it. Well, one fellow recently, against his
        better judgement and asking for forgiveness at the same time, wrote in and
        said "that the Christians ought to be leaving well enough alone and let the
        ruling stand or the next thing you know, our kids will be having to say all
        kinds of prayers in school, like Muslin prayers and even Catholic prayers."
        This guy was so ignorant, he didn't even realize he was being a bigot. I
        mean it. He was totally sincere. He went on and on about the ACLU and how
        if good Christians just leave well enough alone, we can keep the right kind
        of praying going secretly, etc. It was unbelievable, right there in print,
        and telling it just like it is from their viewpoint. My husband just
        couldn't leave it alone. He wrote this wonderful ironic letter, praising
        this man while kindly putting him and others in their place. It dripped
        with wit and satire and an equal share of compliments. At first they
        wouldn't print it, but John faxed it in every week until they finally did.
        It was hilarious, only copies of my husband's letter apparently through
        went churches all over the neighboring counties like wildfire and one copy
        finally landed in the hands of his father who does not even take a paper or
        hardly talks to a neighbor. But someone at his church gave him one because
        they were concerned for John's soul. Since then, my dear husband has had
        to go through hours and hours of "witnessing" and talking about God,
        religion, and America. See, I am Catholic, and so are our 3 sons. In our
        county in Mississippi, Catholics are equal to Jews and Muslins and right
        above Blacks.

        So it's not just Artemis and Isis prayers. If I went to school and demanded
        that the Hail Mary be said for my 3 kids once a month, they would all
        croak!!!!!!!!!!! However, I have made no such demands.
        And for years, my kids have had to suffer quietly because they are a
        minority religion. Most people don't even consider them Christians. Of
        course, I find this all pretty amusing myself. And have taught my sons
        that tolerance is a good thing. They just laugh it off and go on. And yes,
        Harry Potter is an evil agent of the devil. All witches are, even
        metaphorical ones.

        Jane

        >Would they oppose a ban on praying to Isis or Artemis, I wonder?
      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
          This discussion is getting WAY off topic for this group. Again, please
          remember that others on the list may not have the same religious beliefs
          as yours. Please try to keep discussions in the context of Mythopoeic
          Literature or the Mythopoeic Society.

          Thanks,
          Joan
          List Administrator
          Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
          List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
          MNSCREENW lists
        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 15, 2000
            I've had the following message from a student in Poland, Pawel Hibner. His
            subject is mostly beyond my knowledge, and his question about an academic
            exchange is outside my experience, so with his permission I'm forwarding
            his queries in case any other member of this list can help him. If so,
            please write to Pawel directly, at <phibner@...>.

            Wayne Hammond

            ----------

            I am writing to you as I really don't know who to get in touch with.

            I am a Polish Ph.D. student writing on gender and power in fantasy and SF.
            I am looking for any ideas, views, articles, essays etc, that would help me
            write and accomplish my dissertation.

            I was also advised by my supervisor to get in touch with a university where
            I could attend some sort of exchange scholarship or fellowship in order to
            consult my written piece and to broaden my knowledge on the topic right on
            the site before I present my dissertation down here in Poland.

            please forgive me my bothering you but believe I have nobody to ask for
            advice or help.

            Pawel Hibner