Re: [mythsoc] [Fwd: Harry Potter as Satan's agent]

  • LSolarion@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2000
      In a message dated 09/17/2000 6:22:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      tedsherman@... writes:

      << He criticized the books for
      > containing themes of death and promoting disrespect for parents. >>

      One wonders what he would make of "he that hateth not his father and
      mother...", not to mention the crucifixion.
      And where do the Potter books "promote disrespect for parents"? If he means
      the Dursleys, they are Harry's uncle and aunt, not his parents. Which parents
      would he rather live with, Ron Weasley's or Draco Malfoy's? I know what my
      choice would be.
    • LSolarion@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 30, 2000
        In a message dated 09/18/2000 12:12:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        smasson@... writes:

        <<
        The thing is too that witchcraft is not a religion; as such that was an
        invention of Puritan maniacs like the Witch-Finder General.
        Sophie >>

        Actually, the situation nowadays is much more complex (as is everything else,
        it seems). First, no one to my knowledge practices the "witchcraft" religion
        invented by the witch-finders. No one did then either, I suspect. However,
        there is a new religion concocted by Gerald Gardner and associates in England
        in the 1940s, known as "Wicca." It purports to be a revival of the ancient
        European Paganism, which, according to discrdited theories of anthropologist
        Margaret Murray, survived underground during the Christian era. This claim is
        demonstrably false, unless the ancient Pagans somehow had access to the
        ravings of Aleister Crowley, who heavily influenced Gardner. (Sorry, I am
        trying to keep this brief and simple).
        Wicca in turn, together with feminist movements and hippie survivals, spawned
        a swarm of offshoots, developments, imitations, rebellions, distortions and
        inventions which make up the modern "neo-Pagan movement." Basically, it takes
        ancient myths, especially Greek, Celtic, and Egyptian, and reinterprets them
        according to a modern pantheistic, relativist, anti-authoritarian mindset,
        totally ignoring the moralistic emphasis of ancient Paganism in favor of a
        "do your own thing" anarchy.
        They are also heavily influenced by the various occult and kabbalistic
        movements of the late 19th century, and profess to "work magic" and "cast
        spells." Most of these are old wives tales and superstitions; I have never
        known any to work.
        Anyway, that's the down-and-dirty from one who has been there. Most
        neo-Pagans are ex-Christians who are reacting against both real abuses and
        distorted interpretations of historic Christianity. They need our prayers.
        Steve
      • Mary Kay Kare
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 30, 2000
          LSolarion@... wrote:

          > Anyway, that's the down-and-dirty from one who has been there. Most
          > neo-Pagans are ex-Christians who are reacting against both real abuses and
          > distorted interpretations of historic Christianity. They need our prayers.
          > Steve

          Excuse me, but if I want your prayers I'll ask for them. As I do not
          feel in need of them, I don't that's for you to determine.

          MKK
        • Melinda Jane Harrison
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
            Hi:

            I had to jump in on this one because of something that happened recently to
            my husband and I.
            Organized Christian prayer is a very hot issue in our county. And so is
            witchcraft and Harry Potter, etc. Well, we get letters to the local paper
            ALL the time on praying and how "they" have ruined the school systems
            because they took "God" out of it. Well, one fellow recently, against his
            better judgement and asking for forgiveness at the same time, wrote in and
            said "that the Christians ought to be leaving well enough alone and let the
            ruling stand or the next thing you know, our kids will be having to say all
            kinds of prayers in school, like Muslin prayers and even Catholic prayers."
            This guy was so ignorant, he didn't even realize he was being a bigot. I
            mean it. He was totally sincere. He went on and on about the ACLU and how
            if good Christians just leave well enough alone, we can keep the right kind
            of praying going secretly, etc. It was unbelievable, right there in print,
            and telling it just like it is from their viewpoint. My husband just
            couldn't leave it alone. He wrote this wonderful ironic letter, praising
            this man while kindly putting him and others in their place. It dripped
            with wit and satire and an equal share of compliments. At first they
            wouldn't print it, but John faxed it in every week until they finally did.
            It was hilarious, only copies of my husband's letter apparently through
            went churches all over the neighboring counties like wildfire and one copy
            finally landed in the hands of his father who does not even take a paper or
            hardly talks to a neighbor. But someone at his church gave him one because
            they were concerned for John's soul. Since then, my dear husband has had
            to go through hours and hours of "witnessing" and talking about God,
            religion, and America. See, I am Catholic, and so are our 3 sons. In our
            county in Mississippi, Catholics are equal to Jews and Muslins and right
            above Blacks.

            So it's not just Artemis and Isis prayers. If I went to school and demanded
            that the Hail Mary be said for my 3 kids once a month, they would all
            croak!!!!!!!!!!! However, I have made no such demands.
            And for years, my kids have had to suffer quietly because they are a
            minority religion. Most people don't even consider them Christians. Of
            course, I find this all pretty amusing myself. And have taught my sons
            that tolerance is a good thing. They just laugh it off and go on. And yes,
            Harry Potter is an evil agent of the devil. All witches are, even
            metaphorical ones.

            Jane

            >Would they oppose a ban on praying to Isis or Artemis, I wonder?
          • Joan Marie Verba
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
              This discussion is getting WAY off topic for this group. Again, please
              remember that others on the list may not have the same religious beliefs
              as yours. Please try to keep discussions in the context of Mythopoeic
              Literature or the Mythopoeic Society.

              Thanks,
              Joan
              List Administrator
              Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
              List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
              MNSCREENW lists
            • Wayne G. Hammond
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 15, 2000
                I've had the following message from a student in Poland, Pawel Hibner. His
                subject is mostly beyond my knowledge, and his question about an academic
                exchange is outside my experience, so with his permission I'm forwarding
                his queries in case any other member of this list can help him. If so,
                please write to Pawel directly, at <phibner@...>.

                Wayne Hammond

                ----------

                I am writing to you as I really don't know who to get in touch with.

                I am a Polish Ph.D. student writing on gender and power in fantasy and SF.
                I am looking for any ideas, views, articles, essays etc, that would help me
                write and accomplish my dissertation.

                I was also advised by my supervisor to get in touch with a university where
                I could attend some sort of exchange scholarship or fellowship in order to
                consult my written piece and to broaden my knowledge on the topic right on
                the site before I present my dissertation down here in Poland.

                please forgive me my bothering you but believe I have nobody to ask for
                advice or help.

                Pawel Hibner