Re: [mythsoc] [Fwd: Harry Potter as Satan's agent]

  • LSolarion@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2000
      In a message dated 09/17/2000 6:22:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      tedsherman@... writes:

      << For angry parents in Jacksonville, though, the Potter books and
      > library promotion are simply a ruse to indoctrinate young readers in
      > the occult. After librarians handed out certificates to young readers
      > for completing "Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry," Liberty
      > Counsel swung into action with its threat of a lawsuit.
      > "Witchcraft is a religion," said Matthew Staver, the group's
      > president, "and that certificate of witchcraft endorsed a particular
      > religion in violation of the First Amendment establishment clause.">

      Having actually belonged to the "religion of witchcraft," I can testify that
      there is nothing similar. Hogwarts professes no theology, worships neither
      gods nor goddesses, and their magic actually works; all these factors are the
      opposite of witchcraft as religion.
      Would Staver then support banning all books containing Christian characters,
      on the grounds that a literary character having a religion amounts to
      promoting that religion? Ridiculous!

      > Staver founded Liberty Counsel in 1989 to "help preserve religious
      > freedom." >

      No doubt by promoting the censorship of every religion but theirs. Sometimes
      I almost wish that all these people would infest somebody else's religion and
      stop giving mine a bad name. But then I remember that "the world will always
      hate thee."

      <The group has been active in cases opposing ... the ban on pre-game prayer
      at high school athletic
      > contests. >>

      Would they oppose a ban on praying to Isis or Artemis, I wonder?
    • LSolarion@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 30, 2000
        In a message dated 09/17/2000 6:22:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        tedsherman@... writes:

        << He criticized the books for
        > containing themes of death and promoting disrespect for parents. >>

        One wonders what he would make of "he that hateth not his father and
        mother...", not to mention the crucifixion.
        And where do the Potter books "promote disrespect for parents"? If he means
        the Dursleys, they are Harry's uncle and aunt, not his parents. Which parents
        would he rather live with, Ron Weasley's or Draco Malfoy's? I know what my
        choice would be.
      • LSolarion@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 30, 2000
          In a message dated 09/18/2000 12:12:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
          smasson@... writes:

          <<
          The thing is too that witchcraft is not a religion; as such that was an
          invention of Puritan maniacs like the Witch-Finder General.
          Sophie >>

          Actually, the situation nowadays is much more complex (as is everything else,
          it seems). First, no one to my knowledge practices the "witchcraft" religion
          invented by the witch-finders. No one did then either, I suspect. However,
          there is a new religion concocted by Gerald Gardner and associates in England
          in the 1940s, known as "Wicca." It purports to be a revival of the ancient
          European Paganism, which, according to discrdited theories of anthropologist
          Margaret Murray, survived underground during the Christian era. This claim is
          demonstrably false, unless the ancient Pagans somehow had access to the
          ravings of Aleister Crowley, who heavily influenced Gardner. (Sorry, I am
          trying to keep this brief and simple).
          Wicca in turn, together with feminist movements and hippie survivals, spawned
          a swarm of offshoots, developments, imitations, rebellions, distortions and
          inventions which make up the modern "neo-Pagan movement." Basically, it takes
          ancient myths, especially Greek, Celtic, and Egyptian, and reinterprets them
          according to a modern pantheistic, relativist, anti-authoritarian mindset,
          totally ignoring the moralistic emphasis of ancient Paganism in favor of a
          "do your own thing" anarchy.
          They are also heavily influenced by the various occult and kabbalistic
          movements of the late 19th century, and profess to "work magic" and "cast
          spells." Most of these are old wives tales and superstitions; I have never
          known any to work.
          Anyway, that's the down-and-dirty from one who has been there. Most
          neo-Pagans are ex-Christians who are reacting against both real abuses and
          distorted interpretations of historic Christianity. They need our prayers.
          Steve
        • Mary Kay Kare
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 30, 2000
            LSolarion@... wrote:

            > Anyway, that's the down-and-dirty from one who has been there. Most
            > neo-Pagans are ex-Christians who are reacting against both real abuses and
            > distorted interpretations of historic Christianity. They need our prayers.
            > Steve

            Excuse me, but if I want your prayers I'll ask for them. As I do not
            feel in need of them, I don't that's for you to determine.

            MKK
          • Melinda Jane Harrison
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
              Hi:

              I had to jump in on this one because of something that happened recently to
              my husband and I.
              Organized Christian prayer is a very hot issue in our county. And so is
              witchcraft and Harry Potter, etc. Well, we get letters to the local paper
              ALL the time on praying and how "they" have ruined the school systems
              because they took "God" out of it. Well, one fellow recently, against his
              better judgement and asking for forgiveness at the same time, wrote in and
              said "that the Christians ought to be leaving well enough alone and let the
              ruling stand or the next thing you know, our kids will be having to say all
              kinds of prayers in school, like Muslin prayers and even Catholic prayers."
              This guy was so ignorant, he didn't even realize he was being a bigot. I
              mean it. He was totally sincere. He went on and on about the ACLU and how
              if good Christians just leave well enough alone, we can keep the right kind
              of praying going secretly, etc. It was unbelievable, right there in print,
              and telling it just like it is from their viewpoint. My husband just
              couldn't leave it alone. He wrote this wonderful ironic letter, praising
              this man while kindly putting him and others in their place. It dripped
              with wit and satire and an equal share of compliments. At first they
              wouldn't print it, but John faxed it in every week until they finally did.
              It was hilarious, only copies of my husband's letter apparently through
              went churches all over the neighboring counties like wildfire and one copy
              finally landed in the hands of his father who does not even take a paper or
              hardly talks to a neighbor. But someone at his church gave him one because
              they were concerned for John's soul. Since then, my dear husband has had
              to go through hours and hours of "witnessing" and talking about God,
              religion, and America. See, I am Catholic, and so are our 3 sons. In our
              county in Mississippi, Catholics are equal to Jews and Muslins and right
              above Blacks.

              So it's not just Artemis and Isis prayers. If I went to school and demanded
              that the Hail Mary be said for my 3 kids once a month, they would all
              croak!!!!!!!!!!! However, I have made no such demands.
              And for years, my kids have had to suffer quietly because they are a
              minority religion. Most people don't even consider them Christians. Of
              course, I find this all pretty amusing myself. And have taught my sons
              that tolerance is a good thing. They just laugh it off and go on. And yes,
              Harry Potter is an evil agent of the devil. All witches are, even
              metaphorical ones.

              Jane

              >Would they oppose a ban on praying to Isis or Artemis, I wonder?
            • Joan Marie Verba
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 1, 2000
                This discussion is getting WAY off topic for this group. Again, please
                remember that others on the list may not have the same religious beliefs
                as yours. Please try to keep discussions in the context of Mythopoeic
                Literature or the Mythopoeic Society.

                Thanks,
                Joan
                List Administrator
                Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
                List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
                MNSCREENW lists
              • Wayne G. Hammond
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 15, 2000
                  I've had the following message from a student in Poland, Pawel Hibner. His
                  subject is mostly beyond my knowledge, and his question about an academic
                  exchange is outside my experience, so with his permission I'm forwarding
                  his queries in case any other member of this list can help him. If so,
                  please write to Pawel directly, at <phibner@...>.

                  Wayne Hammond

                  ----------

                  I am writing to you as I really don't know who to get in touch with.

                  I am a Polish Ph.D. student writing on gender and power in fantasy and SF.
                  I am looking for any ideas, views, articles, essays etc, that would help me
                  write and accomplish my dissertation.

                  I was also advised by my supervisor to get in touch with a university where
                  I could attend some sort of exchange scholarship or fellowship in order to
                  consult my written piece and to broaden my knowledge on the topic right on
                  the site before I present my dissertation down here in Poland.

                  please forgive me my bothering you but believe I have nobody to ask for
                  advice or help.

                  Pawel Hibner