Re: [mythsoc] Top Ten Mythopoeic Books

  • LSolarion@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2000
      And here's my list:

      1) Lord of the Rings
      2)The Great Divorce
      3) Perelandra
      4) the Zimiamvia trilogy (E.R.Eddison)
      5) The Place of the Lion
      6) The Worm Ouroboros (also Eddison)
      7) Excalibur, by Sanders Anne Lowenthal
      8) Narnia (Voyage of the Dawn Treader in particular)
      9) The Dark is Rising
      10) The Wind in the Willows

      These aren't necessarily my favorite fantasies (though some would be
      included), for I don't include all fantasy in the "mythopoeic" category -- a
      category easy to distinguish but hard to define (for me at least). The best
      way to define it is to say "these have that quality" (e.g. Charles Williams'
      novels) but those, though equally fine, do not (e.g. George R. R. Martin's
      Ice, Wind and Fire books).

      Steve
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2000
        In a message dated 09/30/2000 4:28:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        LSolarion@... writes:

        << 7) Excalibur, by Sanders Anne Lowenthal >>

        I don't have my copy to hand, Steve, but are you sure you have her name spelt
        right? Is it Sanders or Saunders, and more importantly, Lowenthal or
        Laubenthal? Please feel free to ;-p~~~ me if you are 100% right. What a
        great book that is, too.

        Lizzie
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2000
          In a message dated 10/1/00 5:03:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          ERATRIANO@... writes:

          > Daylight Time, LSolarion@... writes:
          >
          > > 7) Excalibur, by Sanders Anne Lowenthal
          >
          > I don't have my copy to hand, Steve, but are you sure
          > you have her name spelt right? Is it Sanders or
          > Saunders, and more importantly, Lowenthal or
          > Laubenthal?

          Since no one else has bothered to reply to this, I will. It's Sanders Anne
          Laubenthal.