Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 397

  • LSolarion@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2000
      In a message dated 09/16/2000 7:15:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      stephen@... writes:

      << But sometimes it turns out there was more going on that wishful thinking.
      I've seen a lot of material connecting the fall of Atlantis stories with a
      volcanic cataclysm in the Minoan civilization. There are those dinosaur
      bones that probably started many dragon stories. And then there's the newly
      discovered flood of the Black Sea basin 7,500 years ago and it's relation to
      The Flood.

      I was not referring to the simple idea of an ancient island civilization that
      sank beneath the waves, but to the absurd proliferation of detail about it,
      of which we can know absolutely nothing (unless we believe in "channeling",
      which I do not). There are books purporting to describe the laws, diet,
      customs, clothing, architecture, and languages of these mythical places.
      Surely the Wise are Wise enough in the ways of imagination to know that these
      books are bunk.
      The Black Sea flood is interesting, but not every flood is the flood of Noah,
      which covered "the high hills under the whole heaven" to the height of 15
      cubits (about 22 feet) (Gen. 7:19, 20). Nor would a localized flood, however
      catastrophic, have shown up in the myths of the Mayans, the Polynesians, the
      whole world.