Re: [mythsoc] Books and children

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2000
      LSolarion@... wrote:

      > Same here. For the most part, the "children's" books I enjoy
      > today (Alcott, the White Company, The Hobbit, Narnia) are books
      > I first read as an adult. Books I enjoyed as a child, the Oz
      > books for example, leave me unimpressed today. An exception is
      > Howard Pyle's Robin Hood (with his illustrations, of course). I
      > read that with the same unalloyed delight with which I read it
      > as a schoolboy.

      I first read it as an adult and enjoyed it a lot. So yes, it does
      hold up quite well.

      Interestingly, I wasn't crazy about the Wizard of Oz series as a
      kid, I only grew to understand that as a adult. I actually found
      most of the characterizations annoying as a kid. I've found I can
      better enjoy his world creation with adult mind. It also helps
      that I can better separate it from a certain movie. I actually
      liked Return to Oz better in some ways, because it had some of
      the darker feeling of the original books. It still isn't a
      favorite series of mine however, and I wouldn't force it on my
      kids.

      Little Harold, now 11, has just read L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time
      and enjoyed it. He has to do a book report on a Newbery
      Medal/Honor book and we had that one. He says he'll now be
      looking for the rest of her books. He'll also believe me when I
      tell him he'll like other Newbery mentions that we have around
      the house. Mostly SF&F of course. I've read Wrinkle in Time
      several times, first as a child and it too holds up well. Lots of
      stuff you understand better as an adult, but don't need to
      understand as a child to enjoy the story.

      Spring Valley High (?), something like that was all the rage when
      Jenevieve was 12. She's tossed them all. Somehow she still likes
      Sword of Shanana, but she read that before she read Lord of the
      Rings.

      I think that is the power of an outstanding children's
      book/movie/TV show is how many levels it works on. If there are
      some nice things/levels for the adults, the story will stay
      around a lot longer. If the levels are shallow forget about it.

      Lisa
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 30, 2000
        In a message dated 9/30/00 2:32:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
        LSolarion@... writes:

        > In a message dated 09/16/2000 9:23:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        > Stolzi@... writes:
        >
        > <<
        > Were there books you loved as a child that wouldn't pass muster now? <<
        >
        > Doctor Doolittle.

        Is that general, or just because of the politically incorrect parts about
        Prince Bumppo, or whatever his name was? I was rather pleased to see there
        is a modern edition which has changed that, so modern children can still read
        them.

        I suspect I'd still like Lofting's curiously dry style and even more dry
        illustrations. I know as a child I loved them, read them over and over.

        The Pushmi-Pullyu was great!

        Mary S
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2000
          << I suspect I'd still like Lofting's curiously dry style and even more dry
          illustrations. I know as a child I loved them, read them over and over. >>

          I've read them again, now and then. Love the Cat's-Meat-Man, too. They are
          dated, but so is Kipling, and many of the others that we still love. Didn't
          I get chewed out a while ago right here on this list for saying something was
          dated? LOL

          Lizzie
        • Christine Howlett
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2000
            Honey, so many of US are dated, we tend to be a little sensitive! Not but
            what I believe (from my datedness?) that many of these older stories still
            have a lot of magic and wisdome left in them. Now if I can just convince my
            nieces that I do, too...
            Christine

          • ERATRIANO@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 1, 2000
              In a message dated 10/01/2000 10:16:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              chowlett@... writes:

              << Now if I can just convince my nieces that I do, too... >>

              Give them the books. After a few times they might start associating you with
              the magic.

              Lizzie
            • Paul F. Labaki
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
                > <<
                > Were there books you loved as a child that wouldn't pass muster now? <<
                >
                > Doctor Doolittle.

                Many many, but most significantly _Indian Paint_ by Glenn Balch (copyright
                1942, but still holding up very nicely in 1969 when I read it as a second
                grader) and the various beast fables of Thornton W. Burgess which I found
                enchanting as a child. I now find them tedious, unlike AEsop's fables which
                I still enjoy, but in relatively small doses.

                >>> Are there adult books that =are= "as good as the ones you loved as a

                > Books I enjoyed as a child, the Oz books for example, leave me unimpressed
                > today. An exception is Howard Pyle's Robin Hood (with his illustrations, of
                > course). I read that with the same unalloyed delight with which I read it as
                > a schoolboy.

                This remains one of my most loved stories. I read it every 2 years. Pyle
                brings to life a fairy tale England, but one we can recognize and accept as
                our own because it is populated by men and women who revel in lives raw with
                emotion; they revel and sorrow just like us and a little more extreme. The
                lack of the supernatural, magic and the existence of fairies keeps it
                plausible. the joy of life Pyle depicts is contagious and the reader sets
                the book down in better humor than when he began to read (at least I
                invariably do).

                Peace,
                Paul>

              • vaar aragon
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
                  > > Books I enjoyed as a child, the Oz books for example, leave me
                  unimpressed
                  > > today.

                  THe OZ books to me are good entertainment but poor literature...I
                  think some of the darker ones-Ozma of Oz, Glinda of Oz, maybe Land of
                  Oz (which isn't esp. dark) have enough imagination to overcome the
                  limited writing. The first book, mmm, let's just say that the
                  movie's better than the book deserves ;)