Re: [mythsoc] Lilith

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2000
      In a message dated 09/28/2000 4:55:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      juliet@... writes:

      << A good volume of his fairy stories is still on my to-buy list,
      though I have The Light Princess in a small paperback with illustrations
      by Maurice Sendak.

      Now that sounds like a book to have. Did Sendak do more of his books?

      Lizzie
    • Juliet Blosser
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 2000
        On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 12:37:38PM -0400, ERATRIANO@... wrote:
        > In a message dated 09/28/2000 4:55:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > juliet@... writes:
        >
        > << A good volume of his fairy stories is still on my to-buy list,
        > though I have The Light Princess in a small paperback with illustrations
        > by Maurice Sendak.
        > >>
        > Now that sounds like a book to have. Did Sendak do more of his books?

        I also have a matching copy of The Golden Key. My husband got them for
        me as a Christmas or birthday gift, so I'm not sure what others there
        might be. Ok, I just checked on Amazon and those seem to be the only two.
        They also seem to be available in hardcover.
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 2000
          Jane Harrison wrote:

          > Would like recommendation to MacDonald's work. I already have Morris's
          > work. What
          > about Lord Dunsany's stories. I only have one. And would appreciate any
          > comments on these writers and others of similar time.

          You ask a large question, but briefly, in my and others' opinion, Dunsany
          was the most pellucid stylist, and possessed of one of the most verdant
          imaginations, and the slyest wit, of all fantasists. I confess that
          MacDonald and Morris sometimes put me to sleep (with all of MacDonald's
          dream fantasies, that may not be surprising). Dunsany never does, yet he
          has all their virtues.

          And Juliet Blosser wrote:

          > You can find a selection of Dunsany's work at:
          > http://www.interlog.com/~case/support/content.html

          I find that _how_ I read a work affects strongly my reaction to it, and
          trying to read an author like Dunsany in phosphor is like trying to do
          calm deep-breathing to power rock (though who knows, maybe some people
          do). If you want a more reader-friendly selection of Dunsany, in the
          U.S. there's two of his best novels (The King of Elfland's Daughter and
          The Charwoman's Shadow) currently in print, plus an attractively laid-out
          small press edition of some short stories, under the title of _The
          Hashish Man_. The best current selection of Dunsany, though, is an
          omnibus paperback of most of his best short fiction, under the title
          _Time and the Gods_ (not to be confused with an o.p. shorter collection
          of some of the same stories). All these are available from the
          appropriate online booksellers.

          And David Lenander wrote:

          > _Lilith_ had an enormous impact on me, when I
          > read it at about age 15 (what year did Carter republish it?)

          It was one of the first books in the Ballantine Adult Fantasy series:
          September of 1969.

          David Bratman
        • vaar aragon
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2000
            --- In mythsoc@egroups.com, Melinda Jane Harrison <jharrison3@m...>
            wrote:
            > Hi:
            >
            > Excited newbie still buying books. Anyone on the list read Lilith
            by George
            > MacDonald?

            Title character & her domain are one of my favorite "takes" on the
            vampire overlord concept (memo to Dracula: you're a ruddy amateur ;)
            The "little people" are also I think rather well done. But somehow
            the whole doesn't quite stand up...something about the concept of two
            different "best beloveds" (inherent in the myth, of course, so
            MacDonald is kinda stuck with it), offends the romantic in me. And
            the reform of a certain major character in the late stages smacks a
            little too much of brainwashing for my taste (I'm w/ Chesterton: "God
            sent man forth a free knight/Who might betray his Lord" or however
            that bit goes).

            Of his other fiction, I prefer Princess & Curdie to Princess & the
            Goblins (they can be read out of order with zero damage to lucidity),
            and my favorites of his fairy tales would be the Day Boy and the
            Night Girl (werewolf alert! Well, sorta, anyway...), and that story
            about the princess who waxes and wanes with the phases of the moon.

            > Would like recommendation to MacDonald's work. I already have
            Morris's
            > work. What
            > about Lord Dunsany's stories. I only have one.

            Had trouble getting into Dunsany, myself. Which is odd, because I
            can blast through Merritt, E.R.Burroughs, Russell Thorndyke,
            Lovecraft w/o a backward glance...