Re: [mythsoc] MacD/donald & Derleth

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29 8:40 AM
      In a message dated 9/28/0 10:15:06 PM, David Lenander wrote:

      <<_At the Back of the North Wind_ seems too sentimental and
      soppy today, though perhaps I could give it a fairer reading as an adult.>>

      On the other hand, the book's way of dealing with Death (ie, North Wind) is
      remarkably unsentimental and, I think, unique in children's literature. This
      positive portrayal of Death has a forceful and convincing energy to it.

      << Poe is a far better
      writer than Lovecraft, in my humble opinion. I think I like his novel about
      the
      ship that heads for the antarctic best, can't think of the title at the
      moment.

      _Arthur Gordon Pym_?
      Alexei