Cold Poe

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2000
      In a message dated 09/29/2000 10:22:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      mickie@... writes:

      << As you might imagine from this -- I'm "into" Anarctic books. >>

      Have you read Barry Lopez' Arctic Dreams? I have it but don't know when I'll
      get around to reading it.

      My favorite Poe story is probably "Ligeia."

      Hey, David P., send him that silly Arctic story.... lol

      Lizzie
    • vaar aragon
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2000
        --- In mythsoc@egroups.com, ERATRIANO@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 09/29/2000 10:22:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > mickie@b... writes:
        >
        > << As you might imagine from this -- I'm "into" Anarctic books. >>
        >
        > Have you read Barry Lopez' Arctic Dreams? I have it but don't know
        when I'll
        > get around to reading it.
        >
        > My favorite Poe story is probably "Ligeia."

        Mine too! & even the movie's halfway cool!

      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
          In a message dated 10/02/2000 10:51:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          aragonvaar@... writes:

          << > My favorite Poe story is probably "Ligeia."

          Mine too! & even the movie's halfway cool!

          There's a movie?

          Lizzie
        • vaar aragon
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
            --- In mythsoc@egroups.com, ERATRIANO@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 10/02/2000 10:51:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > aragonvaar@h... writes:
            >
            > << > My favorite Poe story is probably "Ligeia."
            >
            > Mine too! & even the movie's halfway cool!
            > >>
            > There's a movie?
            >
            > Lizzie

            Tomb of Ligeia, starring Vincent Price, directed by the notorious
            Roger Corman (but written by a guy who won an Oscar for Chinatown, if
            that means anything). It's mostly told from Lady Rowena's pov, so
            it's sort of Ligeia crossed w/ Du Maurier's Rebecca. A great
            performance by the lead actress, a neat musical score, and a fair
            amount of Poe-tic atmosphere. NOT subtle, but you'd probably already
            guessed that ;)
          • Sophie Masson
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
              I actually used POe's strange novella The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym in
              my own 1997 novel, The Hoax(Minerva, Random House Australia).
              Sophie
              Author site:
              http://members.xoom.com/sophiecastel/default.htm

              >> In a message dated 10/02/2000 10:51:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              >> aragonvaar@h... writes:
              >>
              >> << > My favorite Poe story is probably "Ligeia."
              >>
              >> Mine too! & even the movie's halfway cool!
              >> >>
              >> There's a movie?
              >>
              >> Lizzie
              >
              >Tomb of Ligeia, starring Vincent Price, directed by the notorious
              >Roger Corman (but written by a guy who won an Oscar for Chinatown, if
              >that means anything). It's mostly told from Lady Rowena's pov, so
              >it's sort of Ligeia crossed w/ Du Maurier's Rebecca. A great
              >performance by the lead actress, a neat musical score, and a fair
              >amount of Poe-tic atmosphere. NOT subtle, but you'd probably already
              >guessed that ;)

            • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
                Roger Corman is where a lot of people in LA get their start, IF
                they can put up with him. Because he's cheap, he hires the young
                and inexperienced. But ask him for more money and you're out. But
                people have to start somewhere and Roger was willing to give you
                that start. And he will creative support you, even though the
                money isn't always the best. Which means, if you have the talent,
                you can usually get something nice to put in your portfolio.
                Which is why a lot of famous names started there. And he does
                have a good sense of horror and a so-so sense of SF. So he is
                liked by fans of the genre though rarely does he do Great Works.

                His best work was with Price, usually doing Poe. Oh, and Little
                Shop of Horrors.

                Lisa