Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 409

  • mickie grover
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2000
      David wrote:
      > Poe is a far better
      > writer than Lovecraft, in my humble opinion. I think I like his novel
      about the
      > ship that heads for the antarctic best, can't think of the title at the
      moment.

      _The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym_ by Poe. It's interesting to read it in
      conjunction with Lovecraft's Anarctic novel _At the Mountains of Madness_
      and Garrard's _The Worst Journey in the World" -- a memoir of the Scott
      expedition. As you might imagine from this -- I'm "into" Anarctic books. I
      also liked Beryl Bainbridge's novel _The Birthday Boys_ -- not a fantasy,
      she drew on Garrard. LeGuin mentions Garrard in an essay somewhere & wrote
      a story about a group of women getting to the pole before the men but not
      saying -- I can't remember it's name.

      I like Dunsany's stories better than the longer works -- for example, _Time
      and the Gods_ -- is that it's name?

      Mickie Grover