MacD/donald & Derleth

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2000
      Lilith is one of my favorite books. I can believe that CSL's "imagination was
      baptized" by reading _Phantastes_, but I sure couldn't see it, myself. _Lilith_
      was written much later in Macdonald's career and I think it was the product of a
      more mature talent and vision. _Lilith_ had an enormous impact on me, when I
      read it at about age 15 (what year did Carter republish it?) I think I reread it
      some years later for a Rivendell discussion, and still liked it. But, oddly, I
      think I often forget about the book when recommending fantasies to people. I
      suppose to say that reading it changed the way I saw the world would be
      over-dramatic, but it wouldn't really be far from the truth. I'm sure that it
      had a more direct and discernable effect on me than many other books which I've
      read oftener. I suppose that _The Hobbit_ and _Till We Have Faces_ would be
      comparable in my experience. As literature I have a suspicion that MacDonad's
      best work was the Princess books, _The Princess and the Goblin_ and _The
      Princess and Curdie_, perhaps especially the latter. Maybe I need to read it
      again, but I thought _The Golden Key_ comparatively uninteresting and I was
      disappointed by it. _At the Back of the North Wind_ seems too sentimental and
      soppy today, though perhaps I could give it a fairer reading as an adult. I've
      never read much of the realistic novels, only part of one, I think.

      Re: Derleth, I've never cared to try his horror fiction, I don't much care for
      Lovecraft or similar horror (but look at Colin Wilson's _The Philosopher's
      Stone_ for an homage which outdoes Lovecraft). However, I loved his take on the
      Hardy Boys in western Wisconsin, _The Moon Tenders_ and its sequels. Maybe
      because of my background in small-town western Wisconsin. Two teen-age boys
      solving mysteries in Wisconsin and exploring the rivers and geography. No
      fantasy in our usual sense. He also wrote a series of novels for adults, the
      "Sac Prairie Saga" or something of the sort, which I've always meant to try--I
      think the Moon Tenders books were set in the same town. Poe is a far better
      writer than Lovecraft, in my humble opinion. I think I like his novel about the
      ship that heads for the antarctic best, can't think of the title at the moment.

      > jharrison3@... writes:
      >
      > << Anyone on the list read Lilith by George MacDonald? >>
      >

      > ERATRIANO@... wrote:
      >
      > And, another writer, a horror writer, i have recently heard of, August
      > Derleth. Should I look into him? I like Lovecraft and Poe both.

      David Lenander,

    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2000
        In a message dated 9/28/0 10:15:06 PM, David Lenander wrote:

        <<_At the Back of the North Wind_ seems too sentimental and
        soppy today, though perhaps I could give it a fairer reading as an adult.>>

        On the other hand, the book's way of dealing with Death (ie, North Wind) is
        remarkably unsentimental and, I think, unique in children's literature. This
        positive portrayal of Death has a forceful and convincing energy to it.

        << Poe is a far better
        writer than Lovecraft, in my humble opinion. I think I like his novel about
        the
        ship that heads for the antarctic best, can't think of the title at the
        moment.

        _Arthur Gordon Pym_?
        Alexei