Re: New Tolkien Criticism

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2000
      From the iafa-l list

      > Hi, I figured that Dan Timmons, one of our numbers, would be too humble to
      > announce the publication of his J. R. R. TOLKIEN AND HIS LITERARY
      > RESONANCES from Greenwood Press, so I thought I would do it for him. For
      > those of you who are interested, you can find the details at
      > http://info.greenwood.com/books/0313308/0313308454.html.
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2000
        Way back on Thu, 28 Sep 2000 Stolzi@... quoted from the iafa-l list:

        > > Hi, I figured that Dan Timmons, one of our numbers, would be too humble to
        > > announce the publication of his J. R. R. TOLKIEN AND HIS LITERARY
        > > RESONANCES from Greenwood Press, so I thought I would do it for him. For
        > > those of you who are interested, you can find the details at
        > > http://info.greenwood.com/books/0313308/0313308454.html.

        The copy I ordered pre-publication has just arrived. Without having read
        it yet, I can at least say it looks good. Where _Tolkien's Legendarium_
        (the Greenwood book from January edited by Verlyn Flieger and Carl
        Hostetter) took mostly a "deep inside" perspective, focusing on the
        posthumous works and discussing _The Hobbit_ and LOTR only in comparison
        with them, this book takes a more outside perspective. Some of the
        essays discuss H and LOTR for their own sakes, and others compare Tolkien
        with authors as various as Milton, Haggard, Lewis, Greer Ilene Gilman,
        and the Icelandic saga authors. Much of this sort of thing has been done
        before, but there's room for plenty more of it.

        (The preceding has, with any luck, been a draft for the first paragraph
        of my review.)

        David Bratman