RE: a query re. Parma Eldalamberon XXI

  • elendil_voronda
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 21, 2013

      Hello John,

      I received my copy on Friday. From my understanding of the Introduction given by Chris Gilson (p. viii-ix), it seems that the _Tengwesta Qenyava_ was never carried through. Even the presentation of noun declensions was not complete.

      On the other hand, it is clearly implied (p. xvii) that a “Quenya Grammar” from the 1940s is still extant and includes documents dealing with “Quendian & Common Eldarin Verbal Structure”, “Quenya Verbal System”, “Personal Pronouns” and “The Demonstrative, Relative, and Correlative stems”. I expect to see these as part of a future _Parma Eldalamberon_ issue.

      Also, it seems that there exist still at least some fragments of a “Common Eldarin grammar” from the 1950s (see p. xviii-xix). It would be logical to bundle all verbal and pronominal grammatical writings in a single _Parma_ issue, so I hope we will soon learn how much materials on verbs is available.

      Cheers,

      Damien

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      On Sep 20, 2013, at 1:54 PM, <cgilson75@...> <cgilson75@...> wrote:

      Sometime before this, but after the "Secret Vice" poems of 1931, Tolkien had composed a Qenya Grammar called _Tengwesta Qenyava_, of which the only substantial portion to survive is the "Declension of Nouns."

      Quick question, from someone who has a copy on order:
      is it known what happened to the parts that didn't survive? It's relatively rare that we know Tolkien deliberately destroyed manuscript, but we do know of some examples. Is this one of them?
      --John R.