The Yiddish HOBBIT

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2013
      Don't know if those interested in Tolkien translations know about this one yet, so thought I'd share the new that there's now a Yiddish translation of THE HOBBIT out there:

      Here's a link to the book itself, on amazon.

      Enjoy!

      --John R.
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23, 2013
        Thanks, John. I shared this news around Facebook a few days ago too, and one of the first things I noticed was that the runes on Thror's map (both regular and moon) are still in English! I expected Mr. Goldstein would have translated those into Yiddish. But apart from that small gripe, I think it's wonderful to see a Yiddish translation, particularly because of the similarities in culture, language, and diaspora of the Jews and Dwarves, to which Tolkien has alluded several times in letters, interviews, and linguistic notes. The Jews' dual use of Yiddish and Hebrew might be somewhat analogous (though imperfectly) to the Dwarves' public use of Westron and their own private use of Khuzdul. Even linguistically, Westron as calqued through English would be Germanic, like Yiddish, and likewise the Dwarves' outer-names are all modeled on Northern Germanic names from the Norse Eddas; while Hebrew and Khuzdul are both Semitic. It's a nice parallel. (Of course, I don't mean to say the actual Westron would have been Germanic. Naturally, it would not.)

        Best,
        Jason

        Don't know if those interested in Tolkien translations know about this one yet, so thought I'd share the new that there's now a Yiddish translation of THE HOBBIT out there:

        http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/books/139841/hobbit-yiddish-der-hobit

        Here's a link to the book itself, on amazon.

        http://www.amazon.com/hobit-vider-tsurik-Yiddish-Edition/dp/1481172301

        Enjoy!

        --John R.