Clarification of Mythprint review

  • ernestsdavis
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2013
      In my review of Nancy Marie Brown's book "Song of the Vikings" in the Summer 2013 issue of Mythprint, just published (congratulations, Jason!), there is a passage that appears to be written by me, which is in fact a direct quotation from Nancy's book:

      Here's a literal translation of one of Snorri's own verses: "The noble hater of the fire of the sea defends the woman-friend of the enemy of the wolf; prows are set before the steep brow of the confidante of the friend of Mimir. The noble, all-powerful one knows how to protect the mother of the attacker of the worm; enjoy, enemy of neck-rings, the mother of the troll-wife's enemy until old age." … The audience needs to know five myths and the family trees of two gods or it's nonsense. What does it mean? "A good king defends and keeps his land".

      -- Ernie
    • Nancy Marie Brown
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2013
        Thanks Ernie, but credit for the translation and interpretation actually go to my source, Kevin Wanner, in Snorri Sturluson and the “Edda”: The Conversion of Cultural Capital in Medieval Scandinavia.
        best,
        Nancy

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10, 2013
          Nancy,
              That informative review and commentary on Snorri was well worth reading.  Thank you.
          Mike Foster