Mistral and Tolkien?

  • Joseph Furolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2013
      I've been reading about Frederic Mistral - his quest to restore the language of Provence (Occitane) and their cultural agenda of the Felibrige. He won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1904 in recognition of his linguistic and literary efforts.

      I am curious if Tolkien or Inklings ever referred to or refernced Mistral and his literary circle.  I know Tolkien and Mistral are worlds apart - while Tolkien created culture from language based on varied sources and driven by sheer intellect, Mistral rescued & resotred it from history and the vestiages of his mother's tongue around St Remy. And of course there is Tolkien's well known distaste for the frenchification of English...

      But I couldn't help thinking about possible common interests and activities, not least is the support of a literary circle. And also I have wondered if the history of Provence was ever of interst to Tolkein. I have found nothing.

      Any thoughts?

      Joseph