Mary Gentle

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2000
      In a message dated 09/22/2000 9:00:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      << One thing that struck me as similar to the Gormenghast books was Mary
      Gentle's White Crow series >>

      Has anyone read these? I enjoyed Gentle's _Golden Witchbreed_, and, to a
      lesser extent, its sequel. The Whelan cover of GW intrigued me so much that
      I managed to acquire a proof print of it for my bedroom wall. Must be a
      Libra thing, because I like it for the balance feeling, rather than for the
      inherent betrayal that can be read into the picture, once one has read the
      book.

      Lizzie
    • David Lenander
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 23, 2000
        It's interesting that this should come up, just now. I thought of including
        _Rats & Gargoyles_ on my list of Peake-influenced books, but decided that it's
        been too long since I read it, and the book I was currently reading, a
        children's fantasy novel by Mary Gentle, _A Hawk in Silver_, (clearly a
        Tolkien-influenced book) shows no Peake-influence that I could detect. Despite
        David's recent dismissal (on this list? somewhere?) of Mary Gentle, I thought
        _Rats_ was a fascinating and compelling book, and a worthy contender for the
        MFA--though I don't think it made the finalists. I can't recall, now, if I
        read _Architecture_, and I haven't read _Golden Witchbreed_ or anything else.
        But I will comment that the book I just finished (_Hawk_) was worth my time
        reading it, but not something I'd recommend anyone seek out. Clearly, even
        given her different audiences, Gentle grew a lot as a writer between this book
        and _Rats_. Since _Golden Witchbreed_ was published even earlier, I don't know
        that I would be all that anxious to try that. What's interesting in _Rats_
        isn't from Tolkien, but might be partly due to Peake influence. I wonder if
        David was responding to that book she did about Orcs, a sympathetic portrayal
        (??) of Orc-life, which I've somehow grouped in my mind with _The Borribles_
        without ever reading the Orc book (or really wanting to) based upon a couple of
        reviews. The Gentle of _Hawk_ was a beginning writer with some talent and
        some ideas, but the writer of _Rats and Gargoyles_ has developed a distinctive
        voice, much skill at writing, and has a lot of interesting ideas. Whether all
        this takes her stories to places MythSoc readers want to follow is another
        question entirely, of course. _Rats_ is a story preoccupied with mythic and
        mythopoeic concerns, and if she doesn't answer them, she at least asks hard but
        interesting questions.

      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 23, 2000
          _Rats_ sounds awfullly familiar. If I haven't read it, I've seen it about,
          and should have a look.

          Lizzie