five books about Lewis?

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 17, 2013
      Hi all
         I've been organizing my Inklings shelves, and in the process it was driven home to me that my shelf of books about Lewis are a mixed bag. Some are those books anyone interested in Lewis or the Inklings wd want to have. Others are things I picked up more or less random because it seemed like a good idea at the time. That got me to thinking: there are so many books on Lewis and his work nowadays (I'd guess around 200, but that estimate may be way' off) that the essentials risk being lost in the crowd. Since this is a well-informed group, I wanted to ask: what five books on CSL do you consider essentials, the books everybody shd have?

      --John R.
    • Mich
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 17, 2013
        well I read the man who created Narnia by a author who I forget who wrote that one. he used to work for cfrb I think a radio station hear in Canada.  and also The Narnian The Life and Imagination of C. S. Lewis by Alan Jacobs.  I remember reading the man who created Narnia and it completely ruined the Narnia series for me. the reason is because the author went through and picked apart each book and it's Christian references. for instance he would say something like Azlind dyeing on the stone table is equwill to Christ dyeing on the cross. after reading that I couldn't read any of the Narnia series with out feeling like the hole issue of god and Christianity was being shoved down my throat. from Mich.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 17, 2013
          That would be Michael Coren's THE MAN WHO CREATED NARNIA. I haven't seen it, but I do have his Scholastic biography of JRRT [2001] -- which I've read, but can't now recall anything except how much I hated the ending.

          THE NARNIAN I have but haven't read, having bogged down early on. Anyone recommend it?

          Did buy myself a copy of the McGrath today; it's good enough I know I'll want to have it on hand for reference.

          Thanks for the anti-recommendations; what to stay away from can be as good advice as what to seek out.

          --John R.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 18, 2013
              It's Carpenter who wrote the group biography The Inklings as well, right? I enjoyed that one, and it ends up having quite a lot about Lewis, so it might be worth sticking in the "books on Lewis" pile.

              -Alana

              Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-redemption
              Author of interactive novel Choice of Kung Fu http://tinyurl.com/aja-cog
              Contributor to Tales of Rosuto Shima http://tinyurl.com/aja-talesrs