Mythcon 44

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013
      That was a SWELL Mythcon! My thanks and congratulations to all who helped make it what it was -- organizers, guests, presenters, audiences, conversationers, Golfimbowlers, cinnamon-bread bakers, chocolate procurers, ice cream servers, etc. etc. etc.

      David Emerson
    • wendell_wagner
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013
        The most astonishing thing for some of us was the quality of the Saline Fiddlers, who were the musical entertainment on Saturday evening:

        Some of us went to see it expecting nothing of interest, since it was just a high school group.  They were excellent.

        Wendell Wagner

        In a message dated 7/16/2013 9:17:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, emerdavid@... writes:

        That was a SWELL Mythcon! My thanks and congratulations to all who helped make it what it was -- organizers, guests, presenters, audiences, conversationers, Golfimbowlers, cinnamon-bread bakers, chocolate procurers, ice cream servers, etc. etc. etc.

        David Emerson

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013
          The Saline Fiddlers boggled indeed.  Jo and I and Eric Rauscher were in the front row under the theory that someone has to be there and it might as well be us.

          The Mark O’Connor tunes were wonderful; the old war locomotive “Orange Blossom Special” fresh as a morning rose, and the taller Fender bassist’s interjection of Paul McCartney’s “Blackbird” curled beards and assorted toes.

          Again, all praise to the organizers of this fine Michigan Mythcon.

          Mike Foster

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 17, 2013
            Just to add to the comments here. This was my first Mythcon and I had an amazing time.  The papers and participants were brilliant and gave me much to think (and in the case of Doug Anderson) read about.  The events like the Not Ready for Mythcon Players and fun music numbers were excellent.

            Well done to all for arranging and next year I must try my hand at Golfimbul!

            I look forward to coming over the pond for many more Mythcon conferences!  Le Hannon to all!

            Andyx

            From the IPAD of:
            Andrew Higgins Head of Development and Membership
            Glyndebourne (andrew.higgins@...)

            IPhone 07447644884

            Lif is læne: eal scæceð leoht and lif somod [life is fleeting: everything hastens away, light and life together]” (Beowulf trans by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1936).

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 17, 2013
              For me and those of us who weren't able to come, thanks for live-tweeting the
              event!

              Joan Marie Verba
            • Jo Foster
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 17, 2013
                Unfortunately “Frodo Was a Rolling Stone” keeps going through my head Smile
              • Andrew Higgins
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 17, 2013
                  You guys need to record those songs . Mythcon Label! Andyx

                  Sent from iPhone of Andrew Higgins asthiggins@...
                  07447644884

                  On 17 Jul 2013, at 15:18, Jo Foster <jfoster@...> wrote:

                  Unfortunately “Frodo Was a Rolling Stone” keeps going through my head <wlEmoticon-smile[1].png>

                • Mike Foster
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 17, 2013
                    Be glad it’s not the long version.

                    Mike

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 17, 2013
                      Thanks, Andrew,

                      Parody is protected under US copyright laws, so Barry Gordy would just send a few guys to break our fingers if we recorded.

                      Besides, WERE DID OUR RING GO? ad hoc group member are from five states: Illinois, Ohio, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan, so, in the great tradition of Mythcon, we were truly Not Ready.

                      Cheers,
                      Mike “Smokey” Foster

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 17, 2013

                        I’m so glad you enjoyed it! It was a particularly good one this year.

                        Janet

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 17, 2013
                          More fun than a barrel of bunnies.

                          Mike