EMP Museum In Seattle

  • Doc Singles
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14 8:18 PM
      Hi folks, I wanted to share with you my experience at Seattle's EMP Museum of Sci-Fi, music, and pop-culture.  Currently they have a science fiction, a fantasy, and a horror exhibit.  In addition to Kirk's chair, the Terminator's skull, an Imperial Dalek and Vader's light sabre, they also had a few documents of interest: Bram Stoker's draft of Dracula with hand-written corrections and Jim Henson's notebook describing character creation for Dark Crystal.  The very best part for me was the Tolkien display case that housed his drawing of the gates of Moria, his hand-written time-line/chart for LOTR that described where each faction was and what they were doing on a day-by-day basis, and lastly, a draft of The Hobbit that read as follows:

      "I will show you I have no magic signs on my door, it was painted a week ago and I am sure you have all come to the wrong house.  As soon as I saw your funny faces on the doorstep I had my doubts, but treat it as the right one.  Tell me what you want to do and I will try it, if I have to walk from here to the last desert in the East and fight the wild wire-worms of the Chinese.  I had a great-great-great uncle Bullroarer Took and..."

      "We know, we know" said Gloin, he was very fond of golf.  "Holed out in one on the green fields, but I assure you the mark was on the door.  Burglar wants a good job, plenty of excitement and reasonable reward."

      I would have loved to share a picture of this, but photography of this display was not only forbidden, but the museum had someone posted by the display at all times to make sure no photos were taken.  I had to read this bit into my phone's voice recorder so I could share!

      -Doc
    • Alana Joli Abbott
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 14 8:36 PM
        What a fantastic bit of draft! I'm glad we ended up with the published version. :) Thanks for sharing it, Doc!

        Visiting that museum was one of the things I'd definitely repeat upon going to Seattle again. What a great place.

        -Alana

        On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM, Doc Singles <blindsalamander@...> wrote:

[...]

        Author of Into the Reach and Departure http://tinyurl.com/aja-redemption
        Author of interactive novel Choice of Kung Fu http://tinyurl.com/aja-cog