Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: Mythopoeic Society (from Frank Medlar)

  • Steve Sisney
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
      I feel I must mention that it is possible to scan them
      (gratis) without destroying them if the society would be
      willing to allow access to all (Creative Commons license).
      The payment method would be by voluntary donation. This
      model has worked well for some.

      I can also arrange to have them scanned (disclosure: I
      wrote a lot of the scanning software) and kept "dark"
      if they must be kept behind a paywall. This has worked
      well for many libraries with sensitive material as long-
      term (forever) storage and for controlling distribution.

      There are many options available.
      http://archive.org/scanning

      Steve

      P.S. Hi - I'm new to the list!

      On Jul 1, 2013, at 9:12 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

      > I suppose I can take them – if we are going to scan I may need some sacrificial copies!
      >

      > Janet Brennan Croft
      >
      > Associate Professor
      > Head of Access Services
      > University of Oklahoma Libraries
      > Bizzell 106NW
      > Norman OK 73019
      > 405-325-1918
      > Fax 405-325-7618
      > jbcroft@...
      > http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft
      >
      > http://libraries.ou.edu/
      > Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
      >
      > Book Review Editor of Oklahoma Librarian http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html
      >
      > “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

    • Kathleen Lamantia
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
        I'd love to have them.

        From where would you be shipping them?

        Kathy

        > To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
        > From: steve@...
        > Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 10:25:35 -0700
        > Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: Mythopoeic Society (from Frank Medlar)
        >
        > I feel I must mention that it is possible to scan them
        > (gratis) without destroying them if the society would be
        > willing to allow access to all (Creative Commons license).
        > The payment method would be by voluntary donation. This
        > model has worked well for some.
        >
        > I can also arrange to have them scanned (disclosure: I
        > wrote a lot of the scanning software) and kept "dark"
        > if they must be kept behind a paywall. This has worked
        > well for many libraries with sensitive material as long-
        > term (forever) storage and for controlling distribution.
        >
        > There are many options available.
        > http://archive.org/scanning
        >
        > Steve
        >
        > P.S. Hi - I'm new to the list!
        >

        > On Jul 1, 2013, at 9:12 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:
        >

        > > I suppose I can take them – if we are going to scan I may need some sacrificial copies!
        > >

        > > Janet Brennan Croft
        > >
        > > Associate Professor
        > > Head of Access Services
        > > University of Oklahoma Libraries
        > > Bizzell 106NW
        > > Norman OK 73019
        > > 405-325-1918
        > > Fax 405-325-7618
        > > jbcroft@...
        > > http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft
        > >
        > > http://libraries.ou.edu/
        > > Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
        > >
        > > Book Review Editor of Oklahoma Librarian http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html
        > >
        > > “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

      • Kathleen Lamantia
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
          I should have said that I assume I would pay the shipping...

          To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
          From: kathleen_lamantia@...
          Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 15:53:40 -0400
          Subject: RE: [mythsoc] Fwd: Mythopoeic Society (from Frank Medlar)

          I'd love to have them.

          From where would you be shipping them?

          Kathy

          > To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
          > From: steve@...
          > Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 10:25:35 -0700
          > Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: Mythopoeic Society (from Frank Medlar)
          >
          > I feel I must mention that it is possible to scan them
          > (gratis) without destroying them if the society would be
          > willing to allow access to all (Creative Commons license).
          > The payment method would be by voluntary donation. This
          > model has worked well for some.
          >
          > I can also arrange to have them scanned (disclosure: I
          > wrote a lot of the scanning software) and kept "dark"
          > if they must be kept behind a paywall. This has worked
          > well for many libraries with sensitive material as long-
          > term (forever) storage and for controlling distribution.
          >
          > There are many options available.
          > http://archive.org/scanning
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > P.S. Hi - I'm new to the list!
          >

          > On Jul 1, 2013, at 9:12 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:
          >

          > > I suppose I can take them – if we are going to scan I may need some sacrificial copies!
          > >

          > > Janet Brennan Croft
          > >
          > > Associate Professor
          > > Head of Access Services
          > > University of Oklahoma Libraries
          > > Bizzell 106NW
          > > Norman OK 73019
          > > 405-325-1918
          > > Fax 405-325-7618
          > > jbcroft@...
          > > http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft
          > >
          > > http://libraries.ou.edu/
          > > Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
          > >
          > > Book Review Editor of Oklahoma Librarian http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html
          > >
          > > “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

        • John Rateliff
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
            Welcome to the list, Steve.
            --JDR

            On Jul 1, 2013, at 10:25 AM, Steve Sisney wrote:
            > P.S. Hi - I'm new to the list!
          • John Rateliff