Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: Mythopoeic Society (from Frank Medlar)

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
      Mythcon auction?

      Mike

      Sent: Monday, July 01, 2013 10:59 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Fwd: Mythopoeic Society (from Frank Medlar)

      Anyone have any interest or suggestions?

      Edith Crowe
      Corresponding Secretary

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "frank@..." <frank@...>
      Date: June 28, 2013, 6:04:14 AM PDT
      To: correspondence@...
      Subject: Mythopoeic Society (from Frank Medlar)

      Name
       Frank Medlar
      Email
       frank@...
      Message
       Hello, I have a collection of Mythlore issues from Autumn '82 through Winter '94. I don't want to trash them. Do you know who might want them? Thank you, Frank Medlar
    • Steve Sisney
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
        I feel I must mention that it is possible to scan them
        (gratis) without destroying them if the society would be
        willing to allow access to all (Creative Commons license).
        The payment method would be by voluntary donation. This
        model has worked well for some.

        I can also arrange to have them scanned (disclosure: I
        wrote a lot of the scanning software) and kept "dark"
        if they must be kept behind a paywall. This has worked
        well for many libraries with sensitive material as long-
        term (forever) storage and for controlling distribution.

        There are many options available.
        http://archive.org/scanning

        Steve

        P.S. Hi - I'm new to the list!

        On Jul 1, 2013, at 9:12 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

        > I suppose I can take them – if we are going to scan I may need some sacrificial copies!
        >

        > Janet Brennan Croft
        >
        > Associate Professor
        > Head of Access Services
        > University of Oklahoma Libraries
        > Bizzell 106NW
        > Norman OK 73019
        > 405-325-1918
        > Fax 405-325-7618
        > jbcroft@...
        > http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft
        >
        > http://libraries.ou.edu/
        > Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
        >
        > Book Review Editor of Oklahoma Librarian http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html
        >
        > “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

      • Kathleen Lamantia
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
          I'd love to have them.

          From where would you be shipping them?

          Kathy

          > To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
          > From: steve@...
          > Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 10:25:35 -0700
          > Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: Mythopoeic Society (from Frank Medlar)
          >
          > I feel I must mention that it is possible to scan them
          > (gratis) without destroying them if the society would be
          > willing to allow access to all (Creative Commons license).
          > The payment method would be by voluntary donation. This
          > model has worked well for some.
          >
          > I can also arrange to have them scanned (disclosure: I
          > wrote a lot of the scanning software) and kept "dark"
          > if they must be kept behind a paywall. This has worked
          > well for many libraries with sensitive material as long-
          > term (forever) storage and for controlling distribution.
          >
          > There are many options available.
          > http://archive.org/scanning
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > P.S. Hi - I'm new to the list!
          >

          > On Jul 1, 2013, at 9:12 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:
          >

          > > I suppose I can take them – if we are going to scan I may need some sacrificial copies!
          > >

          > > Janet Brennan Croft
          > >
          > > Associate Professor
          > > Head of Access Services
          > > University of Oklahoma Libraries
          > > Bizzell 106NW
          > > Norman OK 73019
          > > 405-325-1918
          > > Fax 405-325-7618
          > > jbcroft@...
          > > http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft
          > >
          > > http://libraries.ou.edu/
          > > Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
          > >
          > > Book Review Editor of Oklahoma Librarian http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html
          > >
          > > “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

        • Kathleen Lamantia
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
            I should have said that I assume I would pay the shipping...

            To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
            From: kathleen_lamantia@...
            Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 15:53:40 -0400

            I'd love to have them.

            From where would you be shipping them?

            Kathy

            > To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
            > From: steve@...
            > Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 10:25:35 -0700
            > Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: Mythopoeic Society (from Frank Medlar)
            >
            > I feel I must mention that it is possible to scan them
            > (gratis) without destroying them if the society would be
            > willing to allow access to all (Creative Commons license).
            > The payment method would be by voluntary donation. This
            > model has worked well for some.
            >
            > I can also arrange to have them scanned (disclosure: I
            > wrote a lot of the scanning software) and kept "dark"
            > if they must be kept behind a paywall. This has worked
            > well for many libraries with sensitive material as long-
            > term (forever) storage and for controlling distribution.
            >
            > There are many options available.
            > http://archive.org/scanning
            >
            > Steve
            >
            > P.S. Hi - I'm new to the list!
            >

            > On Jul 1, 2013, at 9:12 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:
            >

            > > I suppose I can take them – if we are going to scan I may need some sacrificial copies!
            > >

            > > Janet Brennan Croft
            > >
            > > Associate Professor
            > > Head of Access Services
            > > University of Oklahoma Libraries
            > > Bizzell 106NW
            > > Norman OK 73019
            > > 405-325-1918
            > > Fax 405-325-7618
            > > jbcroft@...
            > > http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft
            > >
            > > http://libraries.ou.edu/
            > > Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
            > >
            > > Book Review Editor of Oklahoma Librarian http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html
            > >
            > > “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

          • John Rateliff
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
              Welcome to the list, Steve.
              --JDR

              On Jul 1, 2013, at 10:25 AM, Steve Sisney wrote:
              > P.S. Hi - I'm new to the list!
            • John Rateliff