RE: [mythsoc] Fwd: Mythopoeic Society (from Frank Medlar)

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013

      I suppose I can take them – if we are going to scan I may need some sacrificial copies!

      Janet Brennan Croft

      Associate Professor
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 106NW
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      Fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@...
      http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft

      http://libraries.ou.edu/
      Editor of Mythlore
      http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html

      “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

      From: "frank@..." <frank@...>
      Date: June 28, 2013, 6:04:14 AM PDT
      To: correspondence@...
      Subject: Mythopoeic Society (from Frank Medlar)

      Name

      Frank Medlar

      Email

      frank@...

      Message

      Hello, I have a collection of Mythlore issues from Autumn '82 through Winter '94. I don't want to trash them. Do you know who might want them? Thank you, Frank Medlar

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
        Mythcon auction?

        Mike

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
          I feel I must mention that it is possible to scan them
          (gratis) without destroying them if the society would be
          willing to allow access to all (Creative Commons license).
          The payment method would be by voluntary donation. This
          model has worked well for some.

          I can also arrange to have them scanned (disclosure: I
          wrote a lot of the scanning software) and kept "dark"
          if they must be kept behind a paywall. This has worked
          well for many libraries with sensitive material as long-
          term (forever) storage and for controlling distribution.

          There are many options available.
          http://archive.org/scanning

          Steve

          P.S. Hi - I'm new to the list!

          On Jul 1, 2013, at 9:12 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

          > I suppose I can take them – if we are going to scan I may need some sacrificial copies!
          >

          > Janet Brennan Croft
          >
          > Associate Professor
          > Head of Access Services
          > University of Oklahoma Libraries
          > Bizzell 106NW
          > Norman OK 73019
          > 405-325-1918
          > Fax 405-325-7618
          > jbcroft@...
          > http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft
          >
          > http://libraries.ou.edu/
          > Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
          >
          > Book Review Editor of Oklahoma Librarian http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html
          >
          > “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

        • Kathleen Lamantia
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
            I'd love to have them.

            From where would you be shipping them?

            Kathy

            > To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
            > From: steve@...
            > Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 10:25:35 -0700
            > Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: Mythopoeic Society (from Frank Medlar)
            >
            > I feel I must mention that it is possible to scan them
            > (gratis) without destroying them if the society would be
            > willing to allow access to all (Creative Commons license).
            > The payment method would be by voluntary donation. This
            > model has worked well for some.
            >
            > I can also arrange to have them scanned (disclosure: I
            > wrote a lot of the scanning software) and kept "dark"
            > if they must be kept behind a paywall. This has worked
            > well for many libraries with sensitive material as long-
            > term (forever) storage and for controlling distribution.
            >
            > There are many options available.
            > http://archive.org/scanning
            >
            > Steve
            >
            > P.S. Hi - I'm new to the list!
            >

            > On Jul 1, 2013, at 9:12 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:
            >

            > > I suppose I can take them – if we are going to scan I may need some sacrificial copies!
            > >

            > > Janet Brennan Croft
            > >
            > > Associate Professor
            > > Head of Access Services
            > > University of Oklahoma Libraries
            > > Bizzell 106NW
            > > Norman OK 73019
            > > 405-325-1918
            > > Fax 405-325-7618
            > > jbcroft@...
            > > http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft
            > >
            > > http://libraries.ou.edu/
            > > Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
            > >
            > > Book Review Editor of Oklahoma Librarian http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html
            > >
            > > “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

          • Kathleen Lamantia
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
              I should have said that I assume I would pay the shipping...

              To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
              From: kathleen_lamantia@...
              Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 15:53:40 -0400

              I'd love to have them.

              From where would you be shipping them?

              Kathy

              > To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
              > From: steve@...
              > Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 10:25:35 -0700
              > Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Fwd: Mythopoeic Society (from Frank Medlar)
              >
              > I feel I must mention that it is possible to scan them
              > (gratis) without destroying them if the society would be
              > willing to allow access to all (Creative Commons license).
              > The payment method would be by voluntary donation. This
              > model has worked well for some.
              >
              > I can also arrange to have them scanned (disclosure: I
              > wrote a lot of the scanning software) and kept "dark"
              > if they must be kept behind a paywall. This has worked
              > well for many libraries with sensitive material as long-
              > term (forever) storage and for controlling distribution.
              >
              > There are many options available.
              > http://archive.org/scanning
              >
              > Steve
              >
              > P.S. Hi - I'm new to the list!
              >

              > On Jul 1, 2013, at 9:12 AM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:
              >

              > > I suppose I can take them – if we are going to scan I may need some sacrificial copies!
              > >

              > > Janet Brennan Croft
              > >
              > > Associate Professor
              > > Head of Access Services
              > > University of Oklahoma Libraries
              > > Bizzell 106NW
              > > Norman OK 73019
              > > 405-325-1918
              > > Fax 405-325-7618
              > > jbcroft@...
              > > http://ou.academia.edu/JanetCroft
              > >
              > > http://libraries.ou.edu/
              > > Editor of Mythlore http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html
              > >
              > > Book Review Editor of Oklahoma Librarian http://www.oklibs.org/oklibrarian/current/index.html
              > >
              > > “Almost as entertaining as the guy with a tank full of scorpions. But not quite.” OKC Mensa, after I lectured on Tolkien and war.

            • John Rateliff
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2013
                Welcome to the list, Steve.
                --JDR

                On Jul 1, 2013, at 10:25 AM, Steve Sisney wrote:
                > P.S. Hi - I'm new to the list!
              • John Rateliff