Re: [mythsoc] Re: Astarte and Mary

  • John Rateliff
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 17, 2013

      On Jun 17, 2013, at 11:56 AM, Alana Joli Abbott wrote:
      . . .  it make[s] sense for him to belong in the canon of people to read when you're reading about how other people read myth.

      And honestly, I think that's a study (how people read myth) that's almost as interesting as studying mythology itself. I spent some time reading one of the Grimm brother's (Jacob, I think) guide to Teutonic mythology, and his interpretations were fascinating -- and different than I'd seen elsewhere -- as were the things he expected his readers to just be familiar with. (He used something like four languages in the English-language translation I read, none of which I was fluent in.) Reading books on folklore compiled in the late 1800s or early 1900s has this pro-colonial angle, where the more modern books I've read tend to try to more accurately capture the pre-colonized viewpoint. All of this is a tangent, of course, but I include it here because The White Goddess seems to be a text that some modern groups have utilized wholesale, so being familiar with it offers a way to understand where the "Celtic Tree Zodiac" quizzes on facebook come from. :) I remember enjoying reading it at the time, as well, so there's that as well!

      Yes, it was Jacob. In later years, Wilhelm took care of updating and revising the fairy tales book while Jacob focused on philological and mythological work.

      It is fascinating to read old works to see what scholars and popularizers of that era thought about myth. It doesn't do to take Frazer and Campbell and Graves (et al) too seriously, but they've obviously inspired a lot of good fiction.

      And it's just as interesting to see what current thinking among the historians and archeologists and scientist is on some of these same issues -- e.g., the recent Cunliffe and Koch volume CELTIC FROM THE WEST, which I only learned about at this year's Kalamazoo, challenges a lot of what I'd been taught about the origins of the Celts and turns it on its head.

      --JDR

    • Tony Zbaraschuk
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 17, 2013
        On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 02:36:10PM -0700, John Rateliff wrote:
        > And it's just as interesting to see what current thinking among
        > the historians and archeologists and scientist is on some of these
        > same issues -- e.g., the recent Cunliffe and Koch volume CELTIC
        > FROM THE WEST, which I only learned about at this year's Kalamazoo,
        > challenges a lot of what I'd been taught about the origins of the
        > Celts and turns it on its head.

        For that matter, there's Michael Witzel's _The Origins of the World's
        Mythologies_, which is grand synthesis on an almost unbelievable
        scale (myths, linguistics, genetics -- all leading back to reconstructing
        common mythological structures and heading back into common elements
        among groups that have been separated since the colonization of
        Australia...) Just recently out, and very interesting.

        Tony Z

        --
        Courage is a virtue. It does not follow that all
        courageous acts are in the service of virtuous ends.