Re: [mythsoc] Re: Astarte and Mary

  • Tony Zbaraschuk
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 17, 2013
      On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 02:56:58PM -0400, Alana Joli Abbott wrote:
      > > Along the lines of "danger here, if you see this it's bollocks all the
      > > way down?" sort of warning sign? :)
      > >
      > Hee hee -- I suppose that's one way! We honestly used it more as a guide to
      > literary criticism -- how are people of this school of thought interpreting
      > myths? -- which is how we applied the Jung, Barfield, and *Hamlet's Mill* texts

      I think at least some of the Year King stuff goes back to Fraser's _The
      Golden Bough_, but it's been a long time since I skimmed that.

      > as well. That said, the maiden-mother-crone and year king as husband-child
      > sacrifice themes do seem to appear all over the place, whether in the old
      > texts or in modern fantasy novels with a mythic backdrop, so whether Graves
      > was inventing things wholesale or picking up on bits that people have
      > continued to recycle, it make sense for him to belong in the canon of
      > people to read when you're reading about how *other* people read myth.

      Oh, agreed.

      I thought _Hamlet's Mill_ had at least a chance of having something
      going for it, it was _maybe_ right, but I didn't know enough about
      either myths or astronomy to be right. (As I get older, I myself
      still reading a lot of fiction, but often finding reality even
      stranger and more wonderful, so I look for the threads of reality
      in a lot of places.)

      > And honestly, I think that's a study (how people read myth) that's almost
      > as interesting as studying mythology itself.

      Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto.

      Tony Z
      --
      Courage is a virtue. It does not follow that all
      courageous acts are in the service of virtuous ends.
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 17, 2013
        On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 02:36:10PM -0700, John Rateliff wrote:
        > And it's just as interesting to see what current thinking among
        > the historians and archeologists and scientist is on some of these
        > same issues -- e.g., the recent Cunliffe and Koch volume CELTIC
        > FROM THE WEST, which I only learned about at this year's Kalamazoo,
        > challenges a lot of what I'd been taught about the origins of the
        > Celts and turns it on its head.

        For that matter, there's Michael Witzel's _The Origins of the World's
        Mythologies_, which is grand synthesis on an almost unbelievable
        scale (myths, linguistics, genetics -- all leading back to reconstructing
        common mythological structures and heading back into common elements
        among groups that have been separated since the colonization of
        Australia...) Just recently out, and very interesting.

        Tony Z