Re: [mythsoc] Re: Astarte and Mary

  • Tony Zbaraschuk
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 17 10:10 AM
      On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 10:43:07PM -0400, Alana Joli Abbott wrote:
      > > You do realize, I hope, that as much fun as The White Goddess is, Graves
      > > is selling you a bill of goods? "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" for clever people.
      > > Fine author, but mad as a hatter.
      > >
      > Oh, yes. It was the ongoing joke in my course on Mythic Imagination (in
      > which we also studied Jung and Barfield and a strange astronomical theory
      > on myth in *Hamlet's Mill*)

      That was actually ... intriguing. I'm not quite sure I buy it, but
      it's certainly interesting.

      > that Graves had been eating mushrooms the
      > entire time he spent writing the book, which, it was suggested, took place
      > over a single weekend. I think that there were some source citations that
      > led us to those conclusions, but I can't remember how much we exaggerated
      > for grins and giggles.
      >
      > Of course, there's an awful lot of subsequent scholarship -- or, at least,
      > philosophy -- that has followed in the footsteps of *The White Goddess,* so
      > regardless of its flaws, it ends up being a useful work to be familiar
      > with. In my opinion, anyway.

      Along the lines of "danger here, if you see this it's bollocks all the
      way down?" sort of warning sign? :)

      Tony Z

      --
      Courage is a virtue. It does not follow that all
      courageous acts are in the service of virtuous ends.
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 17 2:40 PM
        On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 02:36:10PM -0700, John Rateliff wrote:
        > And it's just as interesting to see what current thinking among
        > the historians and archeologists and scientist is on some of these
        > same issues -- e.g., the recent Cunliffe and Koch volume CELTIC
        > FROM THE WEST, which I only learned about at this year's Kalamazoo,
        > challenges a lot of what I'd been taught about the origins of the
        > Celts and turns it on its head.

        For that matter, there's Michael Witzel's _The Origins of the World's
        Mythologies_, which is grand synthesis on an almost unbelievable
        scale (myths, linguistics, genetics -- all leading back to reconstructing
        common mythological structures and heading back into common elements
        among groups that have been separated since the colonization of
        Australia...) Just recently out, and very interesting.

        Tony Z